Ridiculous vertex count on imported DXF splines.

JoelS

Question

As I import a lot of DXF data for landscape design, most of the objects are AutoCAD splines or polylines and while these import with the shape intact, the number of vertices is something like ten times greater (or more) than that in the AutoCAD drawing.

Yesterday I had a chance to use AutoCAD and VectorWorks 2008 together and trialled many simple objects and all the export options that AutoCAD makes available (not many). In every case, splines suffer this massive vertex inflation on import.

This has been going on for a long time (v10 certainly) and we spend a huge amount of time cleaning up these objects to make them sane. The version of DXF/DWG is irrelevant, they all do it.

3D NURBs are the only splines that seem to come across in a sensible way but I cannot find any way to convert spline to NURB within AutoCAD - not that we will be able to this very often anyway.

Importing the same data into MapInfo or Canvas (or reimporting it back into AutoCAD) results in objects that are identical to those in AutoCAD, so it's definitely VectorWorks which is in error.

Are there any factors that might affect this issue during import?

Joel.

5 answers to this question

Hi there Islandmon,

Thanks for the reply, but this is an import problem into VW from original AutoCAD data via DXF.

The only variable that AutoCAD allows on export of DXF is whether it is binary or ASCII 16 digit - not that it makes any difference to what VW does with it on import.

Joel.