3 users, 1 project... how to do it?

Joz

Question

So, if three colleagues were to be working simultaneously on the same project (one fixing plans, another fixing exterior elevations, and a third fixing up page layouts)...

How does this work?

I'm assuming that several files can reference each other (plans, sections, interior elevations, exterior elevations, site, ?), with everything referenced into a file that's just the sheets...

or, is there an easier way to do it?

Our office is about to set standards, and I'd like to be able to present a workable option that's not "create one file for each sheet" (gah!)

Thank you...

10 answers to this question

Is there a way to allow more than one person to work on the same file at the same time? For instance, if we set our files up so that we have all the elevations and all the plans in another, what are our options if and when we'd like to have multiple users working on two details if all the details live in one and the same "details" file? I don't think it's possible.

For that reason, it seems as though it's probably safest to have a separate file for each drawing. This is onerous because of the hassle of managing and updating file references and design layer viewports, not mention the crops and view settings for layers and classes. We always seem to get particularly mixed up when producing different versions of the same drawing, for an elevation study, for instance.

There's only two of us, but I'm surprised at how often we find ourselves wishing that we could both work on two separate floor plans of the same project simultaneously.

It seems as though having a tool or mechanism for creating a "master" file to organize the multiple drawing files would be helpful, especially for projects involving multiple users. This file would presumably contain all the sheets and allow for management of the various references.

Maybe it's a subject for a separate thread, but I'm curious about how multiple simultaneous users can make use of the BIM modeling capabilities of VW. Is this possible?

For one reference point, everyone can take a look at the Ellicott Heights project in the BIM in Practice section of the VectorWorks website:

http://www.nemetschek.net/bim/projects.php

Start by reading the PDF white paper. Then, if you need more actual example of file setup, download the ZIP containing the project. It should give you a good idea of how to set up a multi-story project for multiple users. If you don't use Section Viewports to create building elevation and sections, don't worry. The core techniques are still basically the same. Let me know if you have any more questions after looking at the material.

Yeah I looked there but I have never used workgroups before or referenced files, and its a abit like teaching someone maths for the first time by handing them a book of completed trigonometry equations :)

Where can I find out how to multiply and divide first.

Try downloading some of the Ellicott Heights files and looking at them.

There's a reference tag on the Navigation Pallett.

Click on some objects, look at the file structure, and maybe you'll start to see what's going on.

No explantion can substitute for being shown.