What is the best resource for learning and practice and practicisng?

I'm biased, but I believe my manuals are some of the best you can buy. The integration of the hard copy and the movies makes for an excellent learning technique.

Joining your local user group get you monthly information that helps you learn and reinforce your use of VectorWorks, and you get to meet others that use VectorWorks.

On-line support can help you get over individual hurdles.

Hands down the best resource is to have a project you complete. And then another.

Having used Pickup's manuals to train a number of users over the years, both with and without previous CAD experience, I can attest to their value. They will get you using a variety of VW's tools in a useful way. But our primary business isn't drawing walls and roofs. . .and yours might not be as well.

So, while his manuals (and related resources) are arguably the best available, they will not apply to every objective. They will, however, give one a significantly useful paradigm about how to get what you want out of VW.

Good luck, and keep posting as more hurdles come up!

The return on investment with training is considerable because you then use the program more effectively. It can reduce the stress levels as well. All of the training resources are quite good.

If you want material which will guide you through a small project then puchase either the Archoncad Architect tutorial 2008 manual or the Step by Step with VectorWorks 2008 manual. (Note: the latter manual is only in imperial units so may be of limited use to you if you don't use or understand imperial units.)

If you want material that will provide you a good overall knowledge of VectorWorks then purchase the NNA VectorWorks Architect 2008 manual and the NNA VectorWorks Architect 2008 CDs.