Referenced Plug in objects

I'm having a referencing problem.

Heres the situation.

I have a base sheet file that I reference into all of my drawing files, so when I need to change the date on the set or the name of the project I change it in one place and the entire set is updated automatically. Now this works great, huge time saver and it eliminates inconsistancies.

I also have a list of coded notes in the base sheet file in a seperate layer that I reference into drawings when they are revelent. Each coded note has a plug-in-object in front of it that I made to draw an oval and place a piece of text in the center. I use this plug in so I can change the # and change the shape of the object for lots of different markers (wall types, window types, ect.) from the info palette. Again a huge time saver.

Now heres the problem, When I save a drawing file which has the coded notes referenced into it with the active layer at say 1/8th scale, and then I open the base sheet file and modify the coded notes and save the base sheet file, and then I reopen the drawing file, the plug-in -object takes on the scale of the 1/8" active layer and not the layer it is in when referenced (1 to 1). Now these objects are still in the refereced layer (still at 1 to 1) but they drawn at the wrong size ( they are enormous).

To fix the problem I have to change the active layer to the referenced layer the objects are in and then manually update the reference.

This is a huge pain

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help.