selection handles and dragging objects

it is appreciated that the selection process becomes more precise and with more options, but it is equally important to keep the features that are basic and proven good.

in VW2008 i find now that regardless if an object or multiple objects are selected, as long as you see the handles you can no longer drag (move) objects by end points or center points, you can only stretch them.

before, even in 12.5.3 you would offset the cursor slightly from the point to get the 'cross' cursor to move it instead of the 'diagonal arrow' cursor to stretch it.

being able to work in this way is crucial to my way of operating with the program.

am i missing something? is there any trick that i'm missing?

Edited by nicolas d

peter,

1) any type of objects, but lets say for now regular polygons, rectangles, lines.

2) i'm working in 2D, on top/plan view verified through 'command+5'

3) i am on the 2D selection cursor, of course

4) what do you mean exactly 'what does the cursor look like'? it is the 2D cursor for sure, and it changes to diagonal arrow when on the handles of an object PREVIOUSLY SELECTED. i only see the 'cross' cursor (which allows you to drag the object instead of stretching it) if the object is not selected when i approach it, or in the case of having selected multiple objects if i have the program set to not show the selection handles for multiple objects (this a new feature in VW2008).

Nicolas, I agree that the present (2008) behavior is (or feels) different than in previous versions. But it still works. Here are two methods: First: with the object still selected, move the cursor just slightly off of the end point until the cross cursor appears; then drag. Even though it seems as if you are not 'snapped' to the end point, you actually are. Second (this one is more visually intuitive, yet requires and extra click): Deselct the line, then mouse over the end point until the cross cursor appears; then drag as usual. Hope that helps

I'm not finding interactive scaling any different in v2008. I can still get the cross cursor by moving the cursor slightly. A better method is to toggle the three 2d selection tool modes with the "u" key on the keyboard.

1) Disable Interactive Scaling Mode will not allow any scaling.

2) Single Object Interactive Scaling Mode is new to VW2008, and will allow scaling only when one object is selected. With multiple selections scaling is turned off. I think this is a great new feature and this is the mode I have turned on 95% of the time.

3) Unrestricted Interactive Scaling Mode allows scaling all the time.

peter,

what you are describing is exactly what i've been doing since minicad 5, i know the exact feel of the 'slightly off of the end point' position you are naming, and my commentary is aiming exactly at that. i argue that, with objects selected, the position is not there anymore.

so yes, my two solutions so far are, like you are saying, deselecting and then dragging, or, like ray is saying, toggling between the three 2D selection tool modes (for which i have changed the key assignment from 'u' to '~' since VW10.5).

ray, it is strange that it is working exactly like before for you and not for me. i wonder if it might be a matter of monitor resolution, or a mac / pc thing... but even if i zoom in a lot i can't find the cross cursor when objects are previously selected.

nicolas

i think i just found the problem: VectorWorks/Preferences/Edit/Snap Radius

i had it set to 1 pixel. i changed it to 5, or to 10, and now i see the cross cursor again as i approach selected objects' endpoints and center points.

i might have changed this setting to 1 in the first place (i don't think it comes set to 1 by default) without paying too much attention. i'm not sure when it would be beneficiary to have it set so small.

nicolas