GDI enabling causes problems...pdf issues?

Okay, so someone told me GDI printing was fixed with SP2 so it must be my DesignJet 500 then because when GDI is enabled and I try to print to it the sending to printer popup box opens then closes immediately without sending a job to the printer. As soon as GDI is turned off, then it will print. Also, another weird quirk is when GDI is off, my architect font shows up fine, but when it is on...the font looks like arial. That is annoying. Finally, when I try to export to pdf or print to my Adobe PDF printer all of the text disappears from the design. I have tried this with GDI enabled and disabled and there is no change. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Okay, I've updated to the latest SP2 and I still have problems. I'm wondering if it may just be my printer. Does anyone have a Designjet 500 running on Vista 64 bit? Are you able to print with opacity/GDI? I was able a few times to export as a pdf with GDI enabled, then print and it worked so I am wondering if it is just a VW issue. Also, it seems that there are just some general font issues with VW that restrict the font from being exported....I tried it with few fonts and text doesn't show up, but on some other fonts it does.

I am having the same problem here. I have an opentype font called 'Architxt' that some times prints to PDF fine but most of the time I need to print with the 'rasterize print output' option checked. That makes my drawings look grainy though. So, I decided to try another opentype font called 'Graphite' that I bought from myfonts.com and it appears as Arial when I have GDI turned on as well. Anyways, I have no real advice to give you but I can tell you that it's not your printer that's the problem. Hopefully they're looking into this because it's very annoying.

P.S. Anyone know of a good architectural hand lettered font that does work with Vectorworks 2008?

I noticed an issue yesterday when using MrHand font. I was wanting to email a pdf of a plan to a potential client, but blackout some of the personal details, client, address etc.

I exported using the pdf export command in VW 2008.

Opening in acrobat (probably latest version as I normally take the updates for this), it looked absolutely fine.

Opening in PDF converter professional V4 (by Scansoft) to blackout the client details, the plan was imported correctly, but there was no text at all.

Opening in Photoshop 6.5, the plan appeared to import correctly, but on closer inspection, some of the annotation was missing and there were a couple of odd transparent blocks - I think these were in the position of some of the text which, I had set with solid white fill but opacity of 80% so that I could see through the detail.

Opening in Photoshop elements 6, everything was fine. So I created a jpeg and sent that instead.

So some PDF issues seem to be application specific. Whether this is due to the format/version that VW exports in or due to a an anomoly in the pdf converter I do not know.