VW2008 crashing 4.5 mb 2D drawing file

The title is about it. I can upload the crash log (964kb) if needed.

I had three crashes in a short period of time, with one only minutes behind another, and there have been others. The file is all 2D floor plans and interior elevations. Simple, plain vanilla CAD. Crashes occur while drawing, clicking, etc. ? basic things. Few apps (Safari, Eudora, etc.) open, nothing heavy.

I now have the Auto Save set for backups every 1 minute.

MacBook Pro, 2.16GHz, 2GB, Mac OS 10.4.11

VectorWorks2008 SP2 Fundamentals/Architect/Renderworks

Cinema 4D v10.111

VrayForC4D 1.0876

M~R v1.6.1, C4D/M~R plugin v1.6f4

Fryrender 1.9.1

Edited by nycL45

Hi Katie,

I ran Disk Utility, I believe, after the second crash. The home disk has 27gb available and I do not defrag this computer (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25668).

The crashing has been limited to VW so I have not run any diagnostic apps.

Edit: What a hoot! I just noted I am a "Greenhorn"! I have been using MiniCad/VW almost since the beginning of MiniCad. Greenhorn! How funny.

Edited by nycL45

Can you try running Disk Utility again, make sure you choose Verify Disk Permissions AND Repair Disk Permissions.

Where are you saving the file? The local computer or a network volume?

hi leonard!

happened to me quite a while ago...

one time it was a corrupt font... i selected all imported text and changed the font, made a new file and copy/pasted all the content i needed and it worked again...

the other occasion was an imported drawing and an element was very,very far off the original drawing content. i copied the part i needed in a new drawing, which solved the problem....

good luck!

@Katie, I will run Disk Utility again. The file is on the local computer. Thanks.

@ joerg, I have a mixed situation. When this started, the drawing was created in VW on the same computer, not imported. A corrupt font is still a possibility and I may do a cut/paste if it crashes again. The most recent crash involved an imported dxf drawing. This time it repeatedly crashed only while trying to print. With this simple floor plan with layers, I did a cut/paste which seems to have solved that episode (he said with fingers crossed). Thanks for responding.

VW has always been a rock solid app and crashing is unheard of here. Hopefully, I have seen the last of it.

• 1 month later...

It has been a while but VW2008 has been crashing since I last posted here and has crashed twice so far today. Fortunately, I have the Autosave set to every 1 minute ? yes, one minute.

Kate, I would not mind sending you the file I am currently working on, if that would help, or I can send the crash log or both.

Edited by nycL45

Description: after working in this 2D doc. for hours, the pointer suddenly becomes the spinning ball for about 2-3 seconds followed by the app closing. A dialog box pops open offering to send Apple a crash report (which I click "yes").

The crashing file size 2.3mg. I have run Disk Utility.

Just a reminder on the equipment specs:

MacBook Pro, 2.16GHz, 2GB, Mac OS 10.4.11

VectorWorks2008 SP2 (Build 83388) Fundamentals/Architect/Renderworks

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You should submit a bug with the crash logs and files attached or you can send them to me (tfapohunda@Nemetschek.net)

Crash logs can be found here: Users/yourname/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/VectorWorks.crash.log

Tolu

I have submitted a bug (bug# B065675 for your reference). The problem is currently being investigated.

FWIW, I will updated the bug report stating that "you experienced at least 3 more crashes today".

Tolu

Thanks for the update Tolu. It just crashed again, which reminded me to check in here.

BTW, I had at least 3 more after I posted yesterday. Fortunately, I have autosave set for "every 1 minute" because the building department drawings I am trying to issue would be in serious trouble.

Martin,

In the file folder: Applications>Utilities,

There is a program called "Console". Open it.

From the top Menu Bar, select View>Show Log List. On the left hand side of the window you should see a file tree. Expand all the little triangles. Look for CrashReporter. Under CrashReporter you will find "VectoWorks.crash.log". Select it and it will populate the window.

From the top Menu Bar, select File>Save a Copy As... I suggest saving to your desktop and then sending that copy along.

Hi Martin,

Could you please repost the crash log as a text file? Using PDF totally messes up the format and renders it unusable. Perhaps, you can send it to me directly at TFapohunda@NEMETSCHEK.NET

Thanks,

Tolu