Global Editing of Plug In Objects

Sorry for the long post...

I?ve been migrating current projects in my office to VWA 2008. One new feature that is really important to me (and probably the single convincing feature to upgrade) is the ability to select and edit multiple objects embedded in walls. This has been has been a wish list item for me for a long, long time.

This is not working like I expected. What I?d like to be able to do: Client decides at the 11th hour to change window manufacturer from Anderson to Loewen, I simply run Custom Selection, with all windows within walls selected; open Settings dialog, Data tab; select new manufacturer and?done!

Nope, when recalcing the window sched I find only one window has updated info.

If I want to change dimension of exterior trim on 42 windows, this technique works (when modifying data in the OIP). It seems any parameter that requires me to access the Settings dialog won?t stick to selected objects. This means I still have to select and mod ONE WINDOW AT A TIME to access any Data item, Special Parts Classes, Part Line Styles or any other item not contained in the OIP. Arrgh.

OK lets work around by selecting and modifying the info from the Wind Sched WS. Well, I can select the cell for one window and get the manufacturer changed in the WS and in the PIO, but cannot mod multiple windows at a time. Heck this ?reverse workflow? through the Schedule Worksheets was my number 2 reason for upgrading!

Maybe workaround through the Eyedropper tool? (I?ve tried and failed with this technique in the past, but, hey, maybe options have changed in 2008) Nope, even with pick up plug-in parameters checked, I can?t use this without also changing basic info like window size. Useless.

I really, really like the direction that VW has gone in versions 11, 12 and ?08 (I?ve been a user since MiniCad+ 3.1). But I?ve also paid employees untold dollars making ?one-at-a-time? changes that should be easily accessed through global editing.

BTW, my #3 reason for upgrading: Rotate Plan?thank you, thank you, thank you (and seems to be working well so far). #4 reason for upgrading: Better control over wall components and visibility (and ability to dimension to framing)?I?ve had some real problems with how this is working, but I?ll have to save for another post.

cheers, mmm

I recently tried the global editing on the windows for the same reason (change in mfgr/trim size/etc) and was met with the same result as yours, having to go through them one at a time.

Once again, as in other threads, the desire to see NNA fix what's wrong in 08 before moving forward with any new tricks. Please.

Still and all, a fun (and mostly productive) modeling program...

The program is just designed that only the parameters that the objects have the same can be changed in the oip at the same time.

Actually, my quick test shows that this appears not to be the case. For example, two windows with different size Ext Trim can be selected and Trim size can be modified to another size at the same time. But only if its changed in the OIP. If I select the same two windows and change Ext Trim size in the Setting/Part/Trim dialog, then the change only sticks to one of the windows. ???

When windows with two different trim sizes are selected the value in the OIP is blank, but can be modified. If one window has the "Include Ext Trim" radio button checked and the other doesn't,then when both windows are selected, it shows in the OIP as a "dash," but can still be modified together.

The program is just designed that only the parameters that the objects have the same can be changed in the oip at the same time.

Actually, my quick test shows that this appears not to be the case. For example, two windows with different size Ext Trim can be selected and Trim size can be modified to another size at the same time. But only if its changed in the OIP. If I select the same two windows and change Ext Trim size in the Setting/Part/Trim dialog, then the change only sticks to one of the windows. ???

When windows with two different trim sizes are selected the value in the OIP is blank, but can be modified. If one window has the "Include Ext Trim" radio button checked and the other doesn't,then when both windows are selected, it shows in the OIP as a "dash," but can still be modified together.

That's what I just said.