Info on Mechanical Engineering with VW?

I've been using Minicad7 for a couple of years, but still not great with it since my college only supports AutoCAD or MechDesktop. So, I was wondering what advantages would VW offer that make spending the money to upgrade to VW worth the investment? I see the advantages architecturally, but I do a lot of prototype work for factory equipment, and various mechanical and fluid systems. And is VW coming to OSX? I hear ProE may be in the pipeline and wondered if VW would beat them to the OSX market.

I'm using a G4 PowerMac for my computer and an old Dell for CADD work, I'd like to be able to use one package on my Mac and I'm not holding my breath that AutoDesk will ever support OSX, I've been using since OSX DP3 so I've become very accustomed the environment and Unix. I use my computer for limited Mac software development, networking, and mainly for electrical and mechanical design work using MiniCAD7 and FormZ3.x.

Any information is greatly appreciated,

Kevin

• 10 months later...

I have been using CAD since 1983 & VW since v8.5. Now I have v9.5 with Render & Mechanical on a PB G4. This combo looks very good for machinery guys when compared to the many CAD & Modeling packages in common use.

My reasons for saying that are: 1. Affordable for individuals 2. Easier to learn & keep up with 3. Dual platform (if you buy it twice) 4. Imports & exports to others 5. Lots of parts & stuff included 6. It runs on my Mac!

I have to admit that I really have to get into it and use it in OSX.

Lets have more machinery people talking about their experience. smile.gif" border="0

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to see some feedback from those that are using Mechanical or VectorWorks in the precision sheet metal trade. I am told at the point just after purchasing Mechanical that Tom U. and that team are working on sheetmetal aspects of the Mechanical software addition to VectorWorks 9.5 and I am waiting on any new news regarding that aspect to CAD in that area. Thus far the software is way cool beyond my knowledge base yet but is more geared towards the machining design areas and lathing ect.. I have a post placed here on the message board directed at Tom Urie since I had forwarded Bend deduction charts and never heard anything back from him with respect to it. Hello Tom. smile.gif" border="0 Are you out there?

I would like to see some feedback from those that are using Mechanical or VectorWorks in the precision sheet metal trade. I am told at the point just after purchasing Mechanical that Tom U. and that team are working on sheetmetal aspects of the Mechanical software addition to VectorWorks 9.5 and I am waiting on any new news regarding that aspect to CAD in that area. Thus far the software is way cool beyond my knowledge base yet but is more geared towards the machining design areas and lathing ect.. I have a post placed here on the message board directed at Tom Urie since I had forwarded Bend deduction charts and never heard anything back from him with respect to it. Hello Tom. smile.gif" border="0 Are you out there? I am studying mechanical engineering in my spare time outside of working as a brake press operator and am watching for real usabilty coinsiding with AutoCad which is what they use where I work along with SolidWorks among other tools. Anyone here work in the precision sheet metal trade and use VectorWorks?

Jerry/Coloredpencilguy cool.gif" border="0

Thank's again, Tom for your respince to my earlier question which answered this one. Any feedback from people utilizing VW 9x and Mechanical from the precision sheetmetal trade in conjunction with applications like SolidWorks and AutoCAD are sought after.Just interested in how well it has worked going back and forth. "Step" is a factor that I am wondering about regarding work arounds between VW and it.

Jerry cool.gif" border="0