Section Viewport Advanced Properties

Thank you. I am downloading the PodCast as I type this. However, I am already getting the results that I want. I just wanted to know how VectorWorks determines what is "Structural" and what is "Nonstructural." Hopefully this will be explained in the PodCast. I'll post again if my question doesn't get answered there. Thank you again!

OK, that's not what I was looking for.

I'm talking about the setting in the Advanced Properties of a Section Viewport; on the Attributes Tab; the checkbox for "Create Structural and Nonstructural Groups"

As I explained, I know what this is and what it does and what the results are. What I want to know is how VectorWorks determines what is "Structural" and what is "Nonstructural."

Brian: I have been trying to determine the same thing. I need to apply two different hatch patterns in a base cabinet section viewport, one for the cabinet body and the other for the countertop. If I could get VW's to "see" the countertop as a structural component, problem solved. For now I have to annotate the section viewport which is a lot of work on a large project. I've tried to accomplish this with VW's classes but no luck, even sent the problem to tech support who were unsuccessful. If you find an answer, please let us know!

• 9 years later...

All building elements like wall slab etc are "structural", or everything you want to convert to "structural" by OIP (like an auto hybrid or some similar) . All parts will be cut under the same class section style. If you checked the option "make structural and no structural parts" you can choose 2 different section mode (like section and projected items), both of this element can have attributes by classes.

So if you cut a window or a door the glass could not have the same lines like the "structure" of the windows, or simply you need to separate to representations. In this case you need to check the "use structural and no structural" options.

Schermata 2018-01-25 alle 19.34.02.png

Edited by Zeno

Thanks Zeno!

That makes sense. Unfortunately, I am dealing with a lot of solid objects in this model.  I've imported a 3d model from a 3d scan and there are no VW walls or doors.  Rather than rebuild everything I was wondering if I could manually assign certain objects or classes as being structural/nonstructural, so that my drawings don't look terrible.

There is a contingent of VW users that makes almost all solids modeling.  I was wondering if there are any tricks to making drawings look good.

8 minutes ago, cberg said:

Thanks Zeno!

That makes sense. Unfortunately, I am dealing with a lot of solid objects in this model.  I've imported a 3d model from a 3d scan and there are no VW walls or doors.  Rather than rebuild everything I was wondering if I could manually assign certain objects or classes as being structural/nonstructural, so that my drawings don't look terrible.

There is a contingent of VW users that makes almost all solids modeling.  I was wondering if there are any tricks to making drawings look good.

A solid element can do a structural element by OIP

8 minutes ago, cberg said:

Thanks Zeno!

A Pointcloud isn't a solid element. I suggest you create a section viewport and create some polygons in the annotation dialog of the viewport. Is very quick and good-looking

Schermata 2018-01-25 alle 19.49.01.png

Edited by Zeno