Trex Deck Ad Illustration

Have you seen the ads by Trex Deck. The ad I'm referring to shows an extreme deck down an ocean bluff. This deck was computer generated. My questions is can VW (I'm an insecure user of MC7) and Render Works produce such results. How'd they do it? I think they put a deck down the side of the Grand Canyon, also. I'd like to do a similiar rendition of a deck on a local landscape. Should I upgrade to VW?

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Nemetschek North America Customer:

While I have yet to see the advertisement you mention I believe that you will be impressed with the combined capabilities of VectorWorks and RenderWorks. RenderWorks is our initial dive into photorealistic rendering. RenderWorks will allow you to incorporate textures as well as bitmap and images into your drawings. For example, you could scan an image of a landscape into VectoWorks and then draw any additions that you wish into the image. You may want to check our website and view some of the drawings created with the VectorWorks/RenderWorks package.

Scott-

I have seen the ads, and I would say that the short answer is 'no'.

The longer answer is, not without a whole lot of fooling around and Photoshop magic, and even then you probably wouldn't be happy. VW has not (so far) lent itself to my attempts to produce highly believable inserts like that.And I have tried those sorts of tricks for inserting my scenery into theatres and venues.

If you did the scan-in-a-photo-and-then-plop- -model-on-top trick, you'd probably end up with the model casting shadows onto your photo, as though the background was simply painted on the floor, and revealing the background to be flat.

If that is the type of thing you are trying to do, you may be better served by a more dedicated 3D package like formZ, cinema 4D, etc.

While RenderWorks has a number of strengths, I really don't think that it could produce that kind of thing without a whole lot more sweat than would be needed by a product made specifically for that sort of work.

-ajs