2D polys to 3D contours not working

boundnorth

I've drawn (traced) the site contours with the polygon

tool, starting with the lowest and moving upslope.

Layer options set to Active Only, set the starting elevation

and the interval. When the dialog box opens to start to

converting the polys to 3D contours, no contours are

selected (usually the lowest contour is selected to start

the process). I've made several site models in other files

at this point so I'm familiar with the basic setup - and

that should be right. Any thoughts?

When all else fails (or whenever software misbehaves). First, try quitting and restarting the software. Second, try restarting the computer. Also, you might try opening a brand new file into which you can paste all of the poly's from the original file. Try the 2d-3d operation, leaving the poly's in the "none class". If this still does not work, I suggest double checking all the poly's to make sure none doubles back on itself or crosses any other. Also, double check that there is nothing else selected...

Thanks for your help and quick responses.

I quit & restarted; no change. Shut down the computer; no change.

Copied contours to new file and for a brief moment, 2Dpolys to

3D contours worked.. and then the same problem began again.

Nothing doubles back on itself or crosses, and the polygons (pre-3D contours)

are the only objects on that layer.

Did you inadvertently duplicate in place one or more of the polys? Just a thought.

I know this is a bunch of work, but you can use a 3d loci instead of contour polys to make a DTM. Select each poly in turn and use the Dupe Along Path tool to dupe a 3d locus. Assign an appropriate spacing. You can assign z value, color and class/sub class (for instance, class name is z value) for each group you dupe. Then select them all (make sure there are no groups or other kinds of objects) and invoke the Create Terrain command. I keep the 3d loci on their own layer.

One advantage of using 3d loci instead of contours is that you can select a portion of the vertices and create a DTM of a small part of your plan.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
  • 8 months later...

Hey, boundnorth, did you ever figure out what the problem was? I'm having the same trouble here.

I don't have time to screw around with VW (AGAIN) so I converted my 2d polys to 3d and manually moved them into position. Not exactly quick but it worked.

I'd really like to know what went wrong so I can avoid it next time.

Billtheia, delete the very small polygon that is in the middle of your lot.

After manually converting the 2D polygons to 3D polygons the Validate 3D Data routine revealed that there was a problem. If you select all of your polygons you will find there are 15 of them, but you only have 14 visible contour lines. After deleting that very small polygon element you will be able to proceed.

Weird. That 15th element is actually a result of trying to run 2d poly's to 3d contours. Deleting it doesn't fix my problem.

If I delete the 15th element and then run 2d poly's to 3d contours, it fails leaving that 15th element behind.

Thanks for pointing out the Validate 3D Data routine, though. I didn't know it was there.

Works for me. If you tell me what the start contours height is, what the contour intervals are and which end is the lowest I'll do it for you and post it back to the list.

Correction: It won't work for me in your drawing. If I Copy the 14 polygons and then Paste in Place into a new imperial units document it works fine.

Edited by mike m oz

That was my experience too - if I pasted the polys into a new doc, everything worked. So, what the heck is wrong with the file that it's in? Corruption of some kind?

I've also had weird problems with some files not exporting to dwg properly. If I copy everything to a new doc, export works fine too.

What causes corruption of VW files?

Is there some way to check the validity of a VW file (like ACAD audit?)

Biilltheia, I don't know the answers to those questions.

Maybe you should bugsubmit some of your problem files with a concise description of what the problem is. If NNA can replicate the problem they might be able to work out what is causing it.

This particular problem may be due to a corrupted object elsewhere in that particular drawing. In earlier versions of VW I've had several experiences of corrupt imported Autocad items causing problems in drawings and as a consequence I always import DWGs into new empty drawings. I then extract the information I need for my drawings. If you need to bring in a whole drawing do it as a DLVP using the 'shuttle file' technique.

Thanks, Mike.

I'm not so sure that NNA cares to have me submit this because my problem is with VW2008 and, as I understand, they're not doing any more work on that version.

With regard to ACAD files, I'm talking about trouble EXPORTING to ACAD. I recently had trouble with entire sections of a model disappearing. If I copied and pasted everything into a new file, thought, the export worked fine.

When I DO import ACAD files, I ALWAYS use a shuttle file and a DLVP.

Thanks for your help.

Bill, VW 2008 was a huge improvement over VW 12 ? the disappointing things were bugs

2009 takes VW into a new direction and although the improvements are not as great as 12 to 2008 it seems to be far less buggy and just better to use

I found my work flows from VW 12 to 2008 were substantially lessened ? just much quicker to do things in 2008

2009 ? the Plant Tool as an example ? I said to our distributor here in Oz ? I think I have died and gone to heaven ? the improvements are that powerful

I update sooner always rather than later and I think what I pay for VW is cheap considering I use it as a tool for my work most days

I like the annual release cycle