Text not visible while editing

Ride

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem. Whenever I try to edit text I've created, it is not visible on the screen. All I get is a grey box with the tab markers at the top where the characters are located, but I can't see the text. I've also noticed that the text I'm trying to edit is actually visible, but somewhere else on the screen; usually way off to the right (and often too far to see clearly). Forces me to be a better typer tho cause trying to fix errors later are tough.

Hi, Ride - Make yourself a signature with VectorWorks and system info. It helps troubleshooting.

Text shows as a grey box if you are zoomed out too far. Try getting closer with the zoom tool or select it and use the Zoom to Object command, and report back.

Or, you may have a text size which is too small for the scale of the layer you are working on. To test this, open a new VW drawing and make some text. If the text is a grey box, Zoom in on it to see if it is actually a working text box. Then try reducing the layer scale (disable the Scale Text option in File/Document Preferences/Document Settings/Scale) or increase the text size using the Object Info Palette.

To set the drawing default text size click in a blank area to deselect everything, then mouse up to Main Menu/Text/Size and select a different (bigger) size.

Sometimes, imported dwg text block bounndaries have HUGE, almost infinite size, even though there are only a few words in them. The selected text may have a starting locus on the left side, and an end locus way off the drawing window to the right.

I guess this could happen with a new VW text block, too, but I have never seen it.

Let us know some of the drawing settings where this is a problem.

-B

Thanks for the reply Benson. I don't think its a zoom or scale issue. I've been using VW for about 2 years now, and this seems to be a new problem. Funny thing, when I open a new file, I can see the text I want to edit. The problem arrives only after I save the file. Actually, I've had a lot of glitches with VW lately. I might try a re-install (and this will be the 3rd time since upgrading to 2008). I question how much testing Nemetschek actually did on 2008 before its release. I won't be so quick to upgrade next time a new version is released that's for sure.

Any other help would be great.

VW 2008SP2 on Macbook Pro/Leopard

Are you creating your text box by clicking and dragging? If so try just clicking once to create text. I believe this was a known bug.

What build number are you using?. It's listed under Help menu>About VectorWorks.

Benson's advice on creating a signature is good, click on the My Stuff link at the top, then my profile. Using a signature will include your specs with every post. Include VectorWorks version including build number, system specs including OS version. The more detailed the easier it is for others to help.

Guest Donne Martin

Hi Ride and Konrad,

Try setting the data bar options to one of these two and let me know if it has any effect:

-Use floating data bar

-Use floating data bar only when tab key is pressed

You'll have to close, reopen, and work on the file some more to see if this solution works.

Thanks

Donne

Edited by Donne Martin (NNA)

I used the option - Use floating data bar. This seems to have worked. (I prefer not to use the floating data bar, but it's preferable than not seeing my text!) I will try further and let you know of any problems. Thank you. This was driving me crazy.

BTW, I created my text boxes by clicking (not by dragging a box), and I'm using build 83388.

Thanks again.

VW2008 SP2 83388 on Macbook Pro / Leopard

• 4 weeks later...

greetings everybody,

I recently upgraded from 11.5 to 2008.

I've just registered because I am experiencing the same text problem and it's driving me CRAZY. I have been using MiniCad and VectorWorks for more than 10 years and have never had this problem. It seems the text input and edit functions flake out with no rhyme or reason - it's very erratic. I find I have to quit and restart Vectorworks in order to edit my text. It's really eating into my productivity.

Though I'm glad to find I'm not crazy and that others have been having the same problem, I really need a solution. I'm not fond of the floating data bar, but I'll give it a try until a repair for this problem is developed.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and I hope to use this forum again in the future.

Guest Donne Martin

Hi Lila,

Enabling the floating data bar (either through tab or by having it always show up) seems to be the workaround. We hope to have the fix in an upcoming service pack.

Donne

• 2 weeks later...