disappearing palettes

I have VW2008 Landmark & Renderworks on an intel imac (OS 10.5.2). In the middle of working on a file the palettes disappear, sometimes just one, sometimes all. If I save the document and open another the palettes reappear. At other times the re-size handles don't show up when I select an object. VW is also generally working slowly. Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

Many thanks.

On the Mac platform I have developed the habit to click where the pallets should be, and focus changes to Finder. By clicking back to the VW window the pallets reappear.

Sometimes I do not see what is selected, or what seems to be selected does not match with what should be shown as selected. By moving the window, selection reapears, or updates correctly.

Edited by Fredrik

A few observations here :

- hiding VW (Cmd-H) while some objects are selected, loses the selection handles/highlight when VW is brought back via Cmd-TAB or clicking it's Dock icon. It takes at least a scroll action to refresh/redraw the screen.

- running Spaces, VW pops up without palettes when it's space is chosen from the menubar popup-list. With a keyboard shortcut, palettes are showing up OK.