Stairs

visard

Would like some general information on stairs, ie:

They are placed on the lower floor, yes, so why does the top flight always end up with an up arrow?

Can a stair be seen in isometric, it seems to disappear when in 3D wireframe.

How to get them to display correctly ie. the up and down flights?

Handrails seem to ignore extend dimension settings and don't extend same dimension in plan.

Thanks,

Stairs are parametric Hybrid Objects with both 2d&3d components. The Stair is control by the placement and then via the OIP. Th stair will only display in 3d after the height and treads, etc. are set. You will also need to set the stair returns and landings. Stairs react with dimensions via both the 2d & 3d components.

Stairs have also been driving me nuts lately. The PIO definitely needs some work.

Arrow direction is fixed - Don't ask me why it shows the way it does - NNA is in NORTH AMERICA, right? Isn't the convention here to use up arrow for stairs going up from the floor viewed and down arrow for stairs going down?

Even though the stair appears on the upper layer in plan, you need to have the lower layer on to see it in 3d.

Handrail extensions don't behave as expected - they sometimes seem to ignore PIO input in 2d and appear to completely ignore PIO input in 3d.

AND...be careful copying stairs. They seem to somehow become linked and behave erratically. I just finished up some schematic design drawings where I had copied and modified layers for different schemes. The stairs did all kind of wacky things and didn't display on the correct layers. In the end, I wound up creating new stairs for each instance. SOME TIME SAVER!

Good luck.

The insufficiency of the stair PIO is well documented in prior posts. I basically use it as a guide to help with floor plan layout and for modeling the actual object I want.

The presence of the stair PIO also increases rendering times noticably on my tortise.

Edited by bc

I've also noticed that the class style doesn't seem to stick in the stair PIO. Not matter what I do, the Treads and riser either revert to None, or some other style class that I haven't set it at. Anyone else notice this? Anyone else using style classes?