creating elevations - most basic

Brooke

After finding no reference to speak of in the VW Arch/Des files (how can that be?), I searched here and see that 'section viewport' creation may be the preferred method for creating exterior or interior elevations. I tried it and am doing OK. Any further pointers on a gratis tutorial or thread would be appreciated.

Edited by Brooke

Brooke,

Viewports are are very integral aspect of the entire VW system. This is where you finalize drawings and make them ready for print.

One of the ways I use to create elevation VPs is to position my model in whatever view I need making sure all of my design layers and classes are on/off then I just grab the create viewport command and select a sheet to deposit the VP. My sheets have all been pre-done and brought in with my default template file which makes it easy to stay consistent. Naming VPs is done through the OIP after creating from the data tab. I always try to keep my naming consistent with the sheet prefix and view abbreviation.

I am sure there are going to be plenty of VW folks out there who will chime in with their favorite procedures.

Pete A

Thanks, Pete. It is very helpful to get an idea of an effective workflow, as the tools go under utilized here without.

If sheet layers are typically the object which is printed, then they have borders and title blocks like design layers? But these things may be of classes which cannot be revealed in sheet layers (or I have not succeeded in doing so).

Clearly missing a few essential concepts, here.

Edited by Brooke

The classes for title blocks and borders reside on the model level...I have set up my own class "Title Block" where all the graphics, texts and sheet objects are placed. Only sheet specific objects are restricted to this class. I really have not experimented with a design layer for sheet data...you would still need the class.

Pete A

Guest Wes Gardner

You're on the right path -

Sheet Layers is where Title Blocks and Borders should go. Their scale is 1:1. Think of them as a presentation board - you can have different views at different scales and different rendering modes on your "board."

As you've seen, the Viewport can be scaled to fit your design ideas on the sheet. You can then use Class Overrides within a viewport to manipulate the line weight, color, etc.

I typically place my base dimensions (most of the exterior dims) on the Design Layer - I can then toggle them on and off for views that don't require dimensions (like presentation plans) or an electrical plan maybe.

Sheet Layers is where Title Blocks and Borders should go. Their scale is 1:1.

How does one get them to a sheet layer? When I try to change the class state of my border/title while viewing a sheet layer, so as to have it visible, nothing happens.... even with the border brought to the top of the stack...

Thank you, Wes.

Edited by Brooke
Guest Wes Gardner

Hey Brooke,

To be honest, my knowledgebase has a big gap in it - I jumped from v10 to 2008 consequently I'm not entirely sure how/what the workflow is for 12.52. Certainly islandmon's methodology is sound.

In '08 once I've created a Sheet Layer, I can go to page set-up and pick a size, say ArchD (24"x36") and then go to my Dims/Notes tool set, grap a border (that auto-sizes for the selected page set-up) pop it on the sheet, then in the OIP, select a Title Block and voila! There are some other automated features in Document Setup.

Sorry for any confussion

Thanks very much, imon and Wes.

I think my problem was that I was thinking that since I already had a border in the file that its class could be set to visible and it would appear on a sheet layer just as it does on design layers.

I will get with it. Or some portion thereof, sometime.

Brooke, I haven't followed the entire thread, but would like to jump in to say that Design Layers are where the Model Data exist; Viewports are a snapshot (if you will) of a particular view (plan, elevation, section, etc.) of one or more Design Layers; Viewports can be placed onto Sheet Layers. Once you have a VP on a Sheet Layer all of the design layers and classes (from the original model data) can be further controlled by selecting the VP and clicking on "Layers" or "Classes". Does that make sense??

Yes, thank you, Peter, that does make sense... including the important fact implied that once you select the VP you are controlling for that VP only and not the sheet itself. Can one do that for the sheet layer itself? Probably not. One must add the border to the sheet layer also.

"Can one do that for the sheet layer itself?" Yes, sort of, but it's not exactly transparent. While in a Sheet Layer try this simple experiment: select a VP and then in the Object Info Palette (OIP) Class Pulldown (not the class button, but the class pulldown list near the top) change the class of the entire VP to something other than "none". Now, in the Visibility Palette (or in the organization dialog) make the new class invisible. The VP will disappear!

OK, now, set the VP back to the "none" class (lest you forget later and it causes you problems).

So how is this useful? Here's one way: You can create a Saved View of a Sheet Layer and preserve and class visibilities you have set at that time. So for example you could place a title block on a Sheet Layer *and* into its very own class. You could then create two different saved views, one with the title block class visible and one not...

Experiment. Have fun. VW's is a very versatile program. Once you understand it's paradigm(s) and limitations it can be adapted to pretty much whatever workflow you desire...

Munching, munching... The distinction between the class/layer settings for the picked VP, in th OIP, and the settings for the sheet layer, in the condensed 'Organization,' are just now getting into my head........

It is likely going to be a long while before my digestion is such that the conceptual framework for these systems seems clear, concise, consistent, correct, practicable and tasty. But that may just be asking too much. Frustrating to say the least, but if you guys can do it, maybe there is hope.

Thank you for your help.

hang in there brooke!

I have not yet mastered the "Create Standard Viewports". But feel more in control setting up my own Sheet Layers.

On very simple projects (2 story residential), I create a VP from the floor plan. Lazily, I duplicate this VP, and in the OIP change the visible LAYER. (That keeps all the classes I've set up for 1st floor to show up on the 2nd)

I then duplicate it again, and in the OIP, VIEW from 'front', edit LAYERS to include all floors, slabs and roof, edit CLASSES to hide all interior non-visible data (eg plumbing, cabinetry,stairs) edit RENDER to 'hidden line'. Duplicate 3 more times, setting the VIEW to sides and rear.

Create a section VP. Edit all you need from Classes and Layers. Duplicate that, then crop it for Interior elevations. Duplicate and 'REVERSE SECTION SIDE' for the opposite wall. (You may need to edit the crop boundary) Since all these section cuts do not need to show on the plan views, you can control them with SECTION LINE INSTANCES.

Now... Title Blocks... I use the design layer title block and create a viewport for each sheet, like imon describes

good luck,

tali

I've only worked on a few projects with VW and just finished my first set of CDs so I'm still kind of a newbie but I generally do what Tali described above EXCEPT that I use a custom titleblock with the border tool on a sheet layer.

I use the Model Setup and Create Standard Viewports commands to get the layers and classes that I need. During schematic design, I create my own sheets, copy them and change VP layers & classes for different schemes (ala Tali.) I use the Sheets that Create Standard Viewports created for my CD sheets.

I keep "model" information on design layers and "presentation" information on sheet layers. Thus far, the only annotations that I've included in design layers is room names & numbers (because they appear on many sheets.) Otherwise, all notes and dimensions have gone into the annotation "space" of a sheet layer viewport. I created sheet layer viewports for all plans, elevations, and sections. I used section viewports for interior elevations. I draw on top of the elevations in annotation space where line-weights need to be enhanced and where I need to add detail (like railings.)

I have set up a custom titleblock that I place with the sheet border tool. The titleblock works with VW's Issue Manger so I can push project information to all sheets and fill out individual sheet info using the Issue Manager dialog box. The titleblock is set up for "issue" information so I can use the Issue Manager when I issue drawing sets (Permit Set, Revisions, etc.)

The workflow isn't all that different from the one I used in ACAD before I switched to VW. I drew everything in model space and used viewports and paper space for drawing sheets.

I'm still pretty new to VW so I've certainly pulled my hair out and wished harm on VW's programmers from time to time but all in all, the whole thing works pretty well.

NNA had that project available before the release of 2008 so it exists somewhere in VW land in V12.

You might give NNA a call to see if you can download it from an FTP site somewhere or if they can send it to you on CD.

OR - Robert might chime in here to help you find it.

I suppose the '08 viewer would work in a pinch but it sure would be nice to be able to open it in the application that you plan to use.