Dimensionin in 3D

Razzman

I'm learning to create 3D drawings and I am trying to figure out how to dimension them. If I place dimensions while in the Top/Plan View, even with an extruded item. When I switch to Right Isometric. The dimension lines stay in the exact spot where they were placed in the Top/Plan View. How do I get those to also view in an Isometric mode?

quote:

Originally posted by brzasa:

I'm learning to create 3D drawings and I am trying to figure out how to dimension them. If I place dimensions while in the Top/Plan View, even with an extruded item. When I switch to Right Isometric. The dimension lines stay in the exact spot where they were placed in the Top/Plan View. How do I get those to also view in an Isometric mode?

Dimensions are 2d only so they do not project into 3d. If you were doing a straight elevation, just dimension the elevation. But if you are dimensioning an isometric, you would need to place the dimensions on the plan layer, and then create a new layer and use the Create Layer Link to the plan layer making sure you have the project 2d objects box checked. The dimensions will appear in the linked layer in an isometric view. Also, an isometric view can not be dimensioned any other way since the dimensions are actually about 2/3 of what they should be, unlike a true architectural isometric.

------------------

Janis Kent, AIA

author WorksTutorial & WorksManual