Ecotect is a program that VectorWorks should be able to export to...

mike m oz

• 1 month later...

From the Ecotect website:

"ECOTECT meets ArchiCAD

As part of the ArchiCAD "Working Smarter" series ECOTECT and ArchiCAD are getting together in the UK & Ireland for a series of FREE seminars, entitled "The Easy Way to Building Performance Analysis". For full details visit http://info.graphisoft.co.uk/AABR.

ECOTECT meets ArchiCAD...

"The Easy Way to Building Performance Analysis".

ECOTECT & ArchiCAD working together

With ArchiCAD's unique ability to generate and export spatial/thermal zones, it is now possible to extract exactly the information required by ECOTECT for detailed thermal, lighting and acoustic analysis, as well as compliance with the latest Part L of the UK building regulations. This integration is achieved through the full support of gbXML by both programs.

This marks a significant breakthrough that allows designers to effortlessly incorporate performance analysis in their typical design/CAD work flow."

Has Vectorworks met Ecotect?

• 3 months later...

Kaare, there is nothing else around with anything like the comprehensive capabilities that Ecotect has. It provided many of the capabilities required for the design of sustainable buildings. Even if Autodesk leave it as a stand alone package it will have gained a significant strategic advantage over all of the other CAD programs. More likely though is that it will morph into becoming part of the Revit suite.

After checking out Ecotect's discussion forums in its own website, I'm not surprised by this turn of events. Problems and inquiries are rarely replied to --- it gave me an impression that it's a poorly supported product. I couldn't even find any explanation for the buyout which would appease the fears or concerns of current users. Unless Autodesk is already censoring the forums, there isn't even one post showing any opinion about the news. This would more likely than not only add to the frustrations of the Revit community.

This isn't only a blow to Nemetsheck but to the overall BIM community where data exchange is the main objective.

Ariel

Some of the reasons NNA has not pursued support for Ecotect are now pretty obvious.

I would suspect that Nemetschek AG (not NNA) could have been or was a suitor, but NNA probably doesn't keep that kind of cash on hand.

The other salient point is that Autodesk made two purchases in the same market segment at the same time...this was a major strategic move.

These things don't happen overnight.

I know that ArchiCAD has a plugin for GreenBuildingStudio (now also owned by Autodesk).

From Autodesk's announcement of the acquisition of GBS:

A note to Graphisoft users, the ArchiCAD add-on is temporarily unavailable while we are making updates to our new servers. We do expect availability soon and apologize for the inconvenience.

That was posted on May 1, 2008 and still no plugin for ArchiCAD. I think that explains what this means for the rest of us non-Autodesk customers:

Resistance is Futile.

Energy analysis of buildings is intrinsic to today's workflow and therefore the best option is to have it integrated into the program. The need is for immediate feedback so you can make adjustments to your design and evaluate them by real criteria rather than fly by the seat of your pants, or waste time and money having it done by a third party person or process.

Tomorrows CAD programs will have to become smarter in ways like this. Those that don't probably won't survive.

• Like 1