Clip surface option

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish, but I often draw polys (for floors, patios, whatever) after I have placed walls, and use the walls as snap references... In terms of being "odd", I guess perhaps it is. However keep in mind that it was only fairly recently that we gained the ability to clip from floors and roofs, etc without having to enter the underlying poly from which they were created. So the ability to use a hybrid as the 'clipper' (as opposed to it being the 'clipee') is a good wishlist item, if nothing else.

I'll give you the precise example - I'm trying to draw a lawn in a 2D top/plan view between 2 objects, using polyline tool. 1st object is a hardscape border (shape of an irregular path) and 2nd object is a retaining wall (made from landscape wall bezier - it's a hybrid also of an irregular shape). It wouldn't be so irritating if the path wasn't also a hybrid (it's a slab seen in 3D) on which I can clip the lawn surface so it's going fast and easy. When I try to do the same with retaining wall it's not working (it shows the info: 'Illegal object(s) selected':(

Try this.

Take the landscape wall, Duplicate it and Upgroup it. Move teh ungrouped objects into a temporary class to make them easy to delete after you are done.

Choose the 2D Polygon tool and pick the second mode (the paint bucket) and click in the area bounded by the landscape all and the hardscape. You should get a polyline that fills your bounded area.

You might want to do some tests in a blank file with some lines and polylines and see exactly how the paint bucket mode works.

Pat