how to create model from several 3D polygons?

taliho

I've been struggling for a while - I'm trying to model a grip for joystick, (to be able to render it in Open GL, among other things)

I imported a dxf file that has laser scanned data. The data has 'slices' every .6mm from the bottom of the grip to the top. This data imports as 3D polygons as displayed in the OIP, even though I see lines/contours, similar to a topographical map. Every polygon is in a separate class, totaling 190 classes.

Any ideas?

thanks

Pat-

thanks.

I am not able to get the 'red line' in the loft tool.

I also tried just drawing 3 rectangles, converting them to 3D polys, spreading them out along the z axis - similar to the vase example in the VW help. Couldn't get the loft tool to work there either.

What steps should I take?

If the slices really are 0.6 mm apart then you have far too many of them. You should try and simplify the imported data first by deleting 90% of them. ie. keep every 10th one. Then convert the remaining 3D polys to Nurbs and use the loft tool. If you do the conversion in one operation the nurbs will be grouped together. Ungroup this Group first

You can find more information on advanced modeling here:

- Advanced 3D Modeling online videos: http://www.nemetschek.net/training/library.php?movie=3Dmovies

- Powerpack 3D info area http://www.nemetschek.net/3dpowerpack/samples.php

Edited by mike m oz