Model setup and customized Layer names

Hello all,

I have been using VectorWorks for a couple of years and just recently (VW 2008) felt confident to customize layers, classes and all this stuff. I even managed to successfully edit the LayerMap.G without crashing and burning.

Yet, the Model Setup has me puzzled. Even though I consistently altered layer names throughout the worksheets (I don't like that silly Mod- prefix, I prefer to use discipline codes such as A-, E-, F-), the model setup always shows, and creates, layers based on the VWArch standard. Create Standard Viewports, on the other hand, correctly recognizes my custom standard, so I end up with, for example:

Mod-Floor-0 [created by Model Setup with correct Z and ∂Z]

A-Floor-0 [created by Standard Viewports without Z nor ∂Z]

Is this a "feature"? Or am I doing something wrong?

I have not yet figured out why Model Setup is doing this, but while I take a look at it, let me ask you this: Have you thought about adding your own standard? In other words all you need to do is edit the LayerNameStds worksheet in the file VA Setup Data-Imperial.vwx (or -Metric, as the case may be) and change one of the user columns to your own system. For instance, you can edit the column labeled ?User-1? and change ?Mod-? to ?A-?, or ?B-?, etc. Now, before you run Model Setup, run Standard Naming and change the Active Standard to User-1. By doing it this way, there is no need to change LayerMap.G (which, as you know, can be pretty scary), and you can always revert your drawings back to the VWArch standard, if ever you need to do so. You can also rename any class or view names in the same User-1 column in the ClassNameStds and ViewNameStds worksheets. And, Model Setup will not create any Mod classes.

If you decide to try this, you can rename ?User-1? to something more descriptive, as long as you also rename ?User-1? in the ClassNameStds and ViewNameStds worksheets.

Tom Urie

Nemetschek, N.A.

• 1 month later...

I did that. However, when running model setup Vectorworks 2008 *still* uses hard-coded layer names instead of my custom standard. I eventually found out that these names are stored in the IP Resources file and managed to edit them so they are now identical with my own standard. By the way, there's a lot of stuff in IP Resources (mostly layer and class names) that shouldn't be there?these standards should be all in one place, the worksheets, so the user doesn't have to specify the same thing twice.