Vectorworks and iTunes/quicktime conflict

Heppy

Question

Hi all,

Vectorworks 2008 does not seem to be compatible with my itunes/quicktime.

I get an error when opening VW saying that firstly that I am using a newer, untested version of quicktime, then VW encounters a problem and closes.

VW does work with an older version of quicktime (7.1), but no other quicktime programs will function properly.

I have re-installed VW, uninstalled quicktime and registry components, re-installed but program mstill wont function.

Im at a dead end as I need VW to run on quicktime 7.4

VW 2008, Windows XP, Dell Inspiron 6400.

Thanks

21 answers to this question

I recently had a similar problem with VW2008 right after it was installed on my computer. In my case the problem was associated with a bad installation of QuickTime.

If you go to this link and scroll to see my postings, you'll see what I originally posted and what I finally did to solve the problem.

In summary, I have QuickTime version 7.4 working fine with the latest release of VW-2008, although I've not had much experience with VW-2008 as it was only recently made operational.

It is version 7.4 that I have installed at the moment and it doesnt work. I installed version 7.1 and it works fine then, but other applications that are QT based wont operate on 7.1

I deleted QT from registary and re-installed 7.4, and it hasnt changed anything. My drivers seem to be up to date as well.

I'm not aware of any issues with QuickTime 7.4 and it works fine on my computer.

I have noticed iTunes updates corrupt the QuickTime installation. When you go to the Control Panel and go to About QuickTime, the version usually displays as 0.0.0. In this case, QuickTime has to be uninstalled, deleted, and the registry keys removed followed by a clean installation of QuickTime (without iTunes).

Did you go to the Control Panel and check the About information button for QuickTime, or did you get the version from launching QuickTime?

I reported similar problems in a posting above that can be reviewed here: VW-2008 QuickTime Problem

My QuickTime installation works fine most of the time, but it will sometimes crash when it checks to see if there is an update. A few minutes ago I noticed they are showing 7.4.1 on their web that I might try using to see if the update crashes will stop.

At a minimum, if I were in your shoes I would remove all of QuickTime and only install a fresh version of QuickTime with iTunes after you get happy with VW-2008. Short of that it seems like you'll be frustrated until Apple gets a better version released. I would also try to grab a fresh copy of QuickTime as well so you can be sure your download didn't get messed up during download.

Good Luck!

Edited by Roger...

Thanks Roger. I had already uninstalled QT then re-installed a new downloaded version of it and itunes but th esame problem occurs. Im going to try to remove itunes and QT then reinstall new versions after making sure VW is working properly.

Its annoying me as there shouldnt be such a problem in the first place

Lets hope it works :]

I removed all traces of QT from pc and registry.

I removed all of iTunes (after backing up).

Downloaded latest QT (without iTunes) and installed.

Ran VW 2008 and it still crashes, with a warning message that I need to install QT version 7.2.

I really am stuck with this. I have tried every possible logical method to resolve and nothings changed.

Help!

After I re-installed my QuickTime I had received the same message, but it allowed me to continue working and it didn't affect the operation of VW-2008. At least not that I've noticed.

At this stage of the game, I would first be sure that QuickTime works by running some type of QuickTime file with it. If that test of QuickTime proves successful, I would then try running VW-2008 again to see what happens. It is crashes this time, it is time to remove it from the computer and do a fresh install of VW.

In my note referenced in my previous posting, I found myself replacing VW because it wouldn't start because of the bad installation of QuickTime. In my case my attempts were with a brand new drive with almost nothing but the WinXP-PRO_SP2 installed. Even with that little on the computer, the process of doing a complete and fresh install got messed up for some reason. Because it got messaged up I removed and installed VW-2008 a few times because I didn't know QuickTime was causing me the trouble. From what you've written here, that seems to be the only thing that is different than what I did to get running.

My message here is don't give up yet as the combination to this issue might be close if you can keep at it. Which means Uninstall VW and then re-install VW after a Shut-Down after the uninstall.

Heppy,

The warning message is not a crash, it's merely an educational note.

I'm assuming you are crashing after this alert. Are you getting an error message at this point?

What other programs are running alongside VectorWorks?

In the systems tray (series of icons in lower right corner), what programs are running?

You are right it is merely an educational note and it does crash after this alert. It says that the version of QT might not be compatible/wrong version.I also get an error message afterwards, at which point VW closes without the program really opening!

In system tray I have:

Airport Base Station Agent - for playing wireless itunes

2 internet connections

Mcafee

I have tried uninstalling then reinstalling but still hasnt worked.

I have just installed latest version of QT (standealone) and VW08 still isnt working.

I now have time to sit and try to resolve this problem.

- I removed ALL traces of VW08, QT and iTunes from my pc, including the registry

- Restarted PC

- Installed newest version of QT (as of today)

- Installed VW from scratch

...same thing happens!

If I uninstall QT and re-install version 7.1 then it seems to work perfectly, this should not however be the case!

I am very close to partitioning my hard drive so that I can run VW in a seperate partition without affecting any other QT programs.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

In summary, I have QuickTime version 7.4 working fine with the latest release of VW-2008, although I've not had much experience with VW-2008 as it was only recently made operational.

The studio pc's at my Uni also have QT 7.4 working with VectorWorks 2008.

So it should work? Or are you suggesting that VectorWorks is a hit and miss with certain versions of QT? Someone at QT said that I cannot have 2 versions working simultaneously on the same OS (regardless of partitioning).

Back to square one.

Ok... but VW08 should work with QT 7.4 - mine doesnt! It ONLY works with 7.1!
My VW2008 Installation is working fine with QT 7.4.

After all this hassle with trying to get this to work and not succeeding, you might find that the problem isn't with QT or with VW2008, but instead with another program that is running on your computer. It could also be a problem with the Windows' registry, or a problem with a faulty MS patch installation. I'm mentioning other things here because I succeeded in making the process work after it failed. Here is the posting where I explain what I experienced and did to solve the issue:

http://tinyurl.com/5qu3ln

With all that said, Windows XP PRO has an Event Log where you can find what might be going on with your installation. If VW or QT is trying to start and failing, there should be details in the Event Log you can communicate to Tech Support to help you get over this hurdle.

Another approach you should consider is to remove both VW & QT from the computer, restart it and then re-install both again with QT being the first process to be re-installed. Once you get QT working, and you know because you tested with some QT movies that play without any problem you'll be ready to install VW2008 again.

Should you consider following the above, turn off any Virus software after you do a complete Virus scan. With the Virus scan done, do a SpyBot scan to clean up any potential gremlins that might be operating. When you know everything is clean, then turn off any Firewall type software, like ZoneAlarm or others, before you do the installations. Also, if there are other programs running in the Lower-Right portion of your Taskbar, terminate all the NON-Windows-Operating programs so you'll know there won't be an installation conflict.

Where this is pointing you is to get the operating system as clean as possible before making another attempt at it. While you might not be able to emulate a new Windows XP PRO installation without the help of a skilled technician to also cleanup any problems in the registry, this should get you as close as you can get to what is called a "Clean-Boot" with technical person helping you with probable Windows issues.

Report back your results as this has been a puzzling post to follow and there may be more we can suggest if we know more.

Good Luck,

Thanks Roger.

I have already 'cleaned' my computer and tried re-installing as you had posted previously, and I took a thorough read through your thread, and they're are similar problems to what I have but it seems more than likely that the problem is NOT a Quicktime or VectorWorks problem, but a problem related to another program running on my OS.

I have spent the past day partitioning my HDD nad installing a seperate XP OS. I have next to nothing on my new partition (absolute bare minimum) so I will install QT followed by VW08 and we shall see what happens...

Ok on the strategy. It sounds like you're on your way out frustration.

This morning I kept getting update notices to update Quick Time Player when I clicked on a web site's QT link that spelled out the CAPTCHA code required for access. Each time I clicked, it would crash FireFox 2.0.0.14. This meant I needed to upgrade to QT 7.5(861). QT's Upgrade link kept crashing in 7.4, so I went to Apple's QT site and downloaded a complete QT w/o iTunes install and that went fine. As soon as the version install finished, I tried VW2008 SP2(Build 83388) and that went fine as well. So far I don't see a problem using QT 7.5 and VectorWorks 2008.

If anything relating to this issues shows up, I'll post it here.

Good Luck,