Joining bordered hardscape

ginger04

Everything would be nearly good if only the border of the hardscape was joined by path and boundary. After 'add surface' command I obtained common filling inside (nearly) but it didn't combined these 2 objects so after giving some opacity you can see it's separate, why? what I'm doing wrong?

The point was to achieve something like a pathway with the border + a boundary with the border (in one piece). I know I can do that by drawing a path with this 'entrance' from polyline but it will not be at acurate width and takes more time than using the hardscape tool. So how can I simply create an object looking like this on the picture but in one piece (or at least looking like it was one - without this border part which is seen after using opacity:) Thanks!

How about using the OIP on the Boundary Hardscape object? Use the arrows down near the bottom where it says vertex to move to the point just before (Clockwise) the end you need open. Then click the Hide Next Edge button.

Well, it should work. I just tried it and it appears to only work for the last edge of the polygon.

You should probably submit a bug about the hiding edges of hardscape and a wish about joining hardscape boundary and path objects.

Pat

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I managed to achieve what you want as follows. It's not neat and there are lots of steps, but it does do the job:

Create the boundary area with hardscape.

Create the shape for the path using the polyline.

Use the offset tool to create a copy of this to the correct width.

Draw lines at each end to "Close" your path. Select all four of these lines and use Compose from the Modify menu.

You will now have a single polyline object.

You can then use Add Surface to add the boundary area and the polyline. The resulting object will be the hardscape object you seek which will have a single edge.

Hope that helps. Email me for further clarification.

tamsin@vectorworks-training.co.uk

Hi!

Of course, it did the job in the first time! Thank you for the advice! I was just wondering, if I choose a boundary object, not a path, because of a special shape I need ( for example the one in your image), can I simply leave it opened (without a border) at the end (left side of the image)? Does it have anything to do with the vertex and hide next edge mode or is there a better possibility? Thank you!