Vectorworks 12.5.3(80532) won't start

We are experiencing a few intermittent problems with one of our machines (PC) running VW12.5.3(80532). Currently clicking on the Vectorworks icon, results in the program beginning to start up, with the flash screen displayed. It then hangs and produces an error warning message (asking would you if you would like to report the error log). Once this has been dispatched or cancelled the whole program then exits.

We have reinstalled the update and the required dongle driver.

We have also tried the dongle in a number of different USB ports on the machine, as this was caused a problem on another machine and this USB dongle appears to be installed and working correctly, i.e. it is visible via the Control Panel > Add Hardware route, the driver is installed, and the red light of the dongle itself is lit.

We are somewhat at a loss as to the cause as the machine and software was working yesterday (without any changes being made to the machine set up).

Has any one any ideas?

Thanks.

PC

Running Windows XP SP2

Vectorworks 12.5.3(80532)

• 1 month later...

FYI - I seem to be having the same problem as Stuart Child. I've not yet tried system restore as I am checking if the problem is on all workstations in the office.

I've also recently had a problem with the dongle for this workstation not being recognised on a new VAIO laptop. Don't know if they're related or not.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

In the Program Files > VectorWorks 12 > Workspaces folder, remove all the Workspace files. (Dragging them out to the desktop is fine for now.)

There should be a folder in the Workspaces folder called "Backup 1" or "Originals"

Copy the workspaces out of this sub folder, into the main workspaces folder and try starting VectorWorks again. If the same problem happens, try running the QuickTime Player, if it does not open, download and install the latest one from Apple.

These steps will almost definitely fix that issue if executed correctly.

Edited by JimW