wall line plan display through doors, windows - prob

Brooke

New user here...Since my SketchUp (free) imports failed with runtime failures, I'm manually recreating my work in VW 12.5 in 2d. My little problems now concern display of inserted doors and windows: wall lines for windows and doors reported as "window (or door) in wall' show wall lines continuing through the items though if the class is not displayed the wallls are shown to be properly broken and capped. The items which are identified as simply 'window' or 'door' (not 'in wall', for some reason, since the walls again may be properly broken and capped), the wall llines do not continue through the item, which is what I want. It doesn't seem to result from a threshold or sill setting. Is it the overhead wall showing; how can I turn off its display?

Searches here or in Help so far not fruitful.

Thank you.

That was it, thanks much. I noted that was mentioned but figured since the display was different for 'window (or door) in wall' and plain 'window (or door)', that was not the issue.

I still wonder what's the difference between 'window (or door) in wall' object and plain 'window (or door)' object which is in a wall.

If it does not say Door in Wall (or Window in Wall), then it just happens to be in the same place as the wall. It will not cut the wall and if you use the worksheet functions, the wall area will not have the openings removed. If you look at it in 3D, (especially in rendered mode) you will be able to see that the wall has not been cut.

To get a Door to be a Door in Wall, drag it a little bit and make sure that the tip of the cursor is between the wall lines when you release the mouse. Sometimes it is easier to drag it away first and then back in.

Pat

I was wrong in saying that the walls in both cases are properly cut and capped, as shown when the window class display is turned off. In fact some 'windows in wall' walls are shown properly cut and capped, some are not, that is, they are intact and unbroken, as are all 'window' walls. Perhaps it is due to my poor inserion technique: some were copied and pasted rather than inserted.

Looking in wireframe unrendered 3d things look OK, but without rendering it is of course hard to tell. Hope to get with that soon.

• 6 years later...

In my case the one issue was floor coverings and other perimeter objects creating lines that looked like wall lines. In the other case I still had wall lines persisting. I redrew the wall and inserted a door in a test and all was fine. I redrew the wall in the drawing and inserted the door and all was fine. Then I MOVED the door in the wall and the wall lines appeared.

It seems that If I move the door in the wall (click and drag) it creates a nasty wall line where you don't want it. So I PLACED the door in the wall carefully having set up a nice exact guideline for it.