Hiding wall components in section?

nickdsa

I know that you can show/hide components in the viewport preferences, but this results in the full width of the wall being shown. I would like to be able to turn off components using classes, to achieve a section with only structural components, but I can't seem to get this to work. It seems like it should. Any thoughts?

Here is a possibility.

Create a custom wall style and put the sheathing and gypboard into different classes (say Components-Ext and Components-Int).

In the viewport, leave it set to show the components, but use the viewport class visibility to turn off the Components-Ext and Components-Int classes.

This should get you what you want.

Note that there is a problem with wrapped components. They do not pick up the class of the component, so they will not be controlled by the class visibility. If you need this, then file a bug report.

Pat

Sorry Pat,

I should have been clearer. What you suggest is exactly what I've been doing and it doesn't work. When I toggle the visibility of component classes within a viewport, the fill attributes disappear, but the components are still there. Either I'm missing a step, or this is a another bug.

Yep, I did test it before I sent the last message.

I started with the Brick faces 2x4 wall style. I edited the style so the two outermost components used the Class Styles for the lines and fill. Then I saved the wall as a new style.

I put a wall with the new style on the drawing and created a viewport.

I set the viewport class settings to be invisible for the Comps-Ext and Comps-Int classes.

In the viewport, I only get the center portion of the wall.

I am running VW2008 SP2. Have you got the latest update?

Send me an email address (via private message) and I will send you my test file.

Pat

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the file. Sorry I didn't make this clearer, but I'm talking about a section view, not a plan view. I also just realized that I'm not running the latest build, so I'm downloading that now. Sorry to waste your time... if you have any other thoughts, let me know. Thanks

-Nick

Any one else have any thoughts on this? The issue is getting specific wall components to disappear in section viewports. They don't seem to do it.... even when appropriately classed and the classes are turned off. What I'd like to see are sections that can display int/ext finishes in one view, but just the structural wall component in another. This seems like a pretty straightforward thing to do. But I can't seem to get it. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Are the wall components you want to see visible and invisible in separate wall component classes?

Can you see the effect in a plan view with the appropriate wall component classes turned off?

This should work in section VPs just as it does in standard VPs.

nickdsa,

It might not be what you want, but I think it is what you can get right now. I did some tests last month and in any 3D view, walls draw at full thickness regardless of the settings on cavity visibility.

I would expect Section Viewports to be a 3D view and act the same. Something to add to the wishlist and/or bugsubmit.

Sorry,

Pat

I had a similar experience when trying to control texture class overrides in section VP's and a long discussion ensued with Cipes. He told me that the objects have to be properly classed in every aspect/attribute in order for overrides to work and I found this to be true.

Beyond that, however, I found that some items, (framing members other than joists, for example) do not behave properly in overrides, and this may be what's happening to you.

HTH -

I think I see what you are suggesting - I've attached a screen shot below. The wall boundary lines are still there?

When editing the viewport and dimensioning the wall, you can snap to the wall components to get an accurate dimension.

As you can see in the image, I have a dimension in the section VP of just the middle wall comoponent, and another dimension snapping to the overall wall boundary lines.

I might be a little confused as to what you are looking for, or where the problem is. Is it that you don't want to see the boundary wall extents?

Hi Katie,

What I'd like is a section viewport where I can selectively control the visibility of different elements, so that I can create one section viewport showing the full wall (and floor, and roof) assemblies, and another showing just the framing and other structural elements. Sure I can snap to the inside of the wall cavitiy, but I doesn't read very well in the drawing to have all these extra lines. The effect I'm after seems to work in plan view VP's, so I have to assume that the non-functionality in section VP's is a bug. Nonetheless, it should be fixed, this is a critical feature to the usability of both wall styles and section viewports.

As Pat Stanford alludes to a few posts up, it seems that walls in 3d always show the full thickness of all components, regardless of said components class or visibility. In my mind it would be far more useful for components to be full 2d/3d hybrid objects, and be able to be edited and viewed in any view, the way walls are now. It seems we're about half-way there.

I'd be curious to know what your or any of the other BIM savvy people's thoughts are on this...Thanks.

This isn't true, you can have only show some components without seeing the outer lines of the wall.

This post really suprised me because I've never encounterd this problem, so I tested it and know now what it is: it's just the way you set the preference of the section viewport.

Here's the preference: You can set the section viewport to use a certain style for showing the objects that are sectioned. When using this option, you will see the outer lines of the wall, because you choose it. You'll need to set this option to use the attributes from the objects itself. So that every object will show by it's own class. This way you will not see the outer lines of the wall by something else than a class.

I hope this make sense.