VW2008 Not Loading After Several Installs

WLSCMichael

Question

Ok...I recieved my copy of VW2008 for my work in a Scenic Design class at West Liberty State College. I installed the product as I was supposed to and got clear through the install. I restarted my computer and tried to start VW. It started, I entered all my authorization information and tried to start the program, but it wouldn't start. Now, after I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times, I can't even get it to show the authorization screen. The mouse icon changes to the "working" icon, and then disappears. There is no process loaded, or anything to show that the program actually loaded. I'm a decently tech-savvy person, and I'm stumped. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Michael

8 answers to this question

Here is the same story different place.

Today I installed VW2008 Designer for the first time into a fresh install of Windows XP PRO SP2 with all the current updates except for IE7.

During the installation everything went fine and no Event errors were reported on screen or recorded in the computer's Event log. Even the registration went without a hitch.

After the registration completed, I tried to execute the software so it would run, but nothing happens. Really, nothing happens no error messages, sounds or any visible signs of life on the screen appear during any of the attempts to run VW2008.

Not knowing what to think as this type of problem is rare here, I rebooted the computer and tried again. That didn't work so I found the VectorWorks2008.exe file in its install location and tried to run it directly. Same result, nothing.

Opening the Windows Task Manager to show the applications and processes to watch what might be happening, and nothing ever appears in either the processes or applications tab listings when the exe is executed.

Hmmm, this is a puzzle. No event error and no running program. Opening the Properties tab of the EXE shows a product version of 13,0,1,83388.

Computer here is a workstation running 2 XEON 3.2 Nocona CPUs on an ASUS NCCH-DL motherboard. Video Card is NVidia 7800 512MB with the latest drivers and seems to work well with another CAD package. Memory is 2-Gigs and nothing else is running when these attempts to run were tried.

Can anyone help with a solution?

This would be a perfect task for a tool like strace (Linux) or dtrace/ktrace (OSX 10.5/10.4 respectively).

Unfortunately, based on my limited googling, I can't find anything that provides this functionality on Windows (at least not something that runs on the newer windows operating systems, there are a few old tools).

Perhaps some kind Windows loving soul will wander in here and know of an strace equivalent for Windows? I'll keep asking around the office here, for now, nobody seems to know.

Edited by jkelly

I've been able to solve this issue. In a few email exchanges with VW Support, they mentioned what the minimum QuickTime version needed to be and that comment lead me to the solution.

In my case VW & QuickTime were not previously installed on this disk because of the disk crash required a disk replacement. Because QuickTime wasn't present, VW-Install forces the installation of QuickTime. For reasons I'll not understand the QuickTime installation wasn't done properly and that was keeping VW from running.

Because the problem was caused by QuickTime, uninstalling VW and reinstalling it again didn't change the problem condition. To make it work, QuickTime needed to be removed from the disk and installed again.

In my case, I didn't trust the QuickTime installation process on the VW-Install CD so I went to the Apple site and downloaded QuickTime. Unfortunately, Apple bundles iTunes with QuickTime so they both get installed together. I have no need for iTunes and was able to uninstall it after the bundle installation completed.

Once QuickTime was installed I tested it with an old QuickTime file and it worked fine. At this point I tried the last VW-2008 installation and VW appeared and seems to be working fine, although I've not spent much time in it yet.

My QuickTime version is 7.4 and VW sends up a Flag that it doesn't match the needed version of 7.2. This is a concern, but I've not been able to find an earlier QuickTime version on the Apple site and I don't trust the version installed on the VW-2008 CD. Hopefully having a version that is two tenths higher than the recommended won't come back to haunt this installation.

This problem tells me that VW is overly dependant upon QuickTime. Having an important piece of software like VW so dependant upon a third-party doesn't make much business sense to me when the applications major functions don't need QuickTime to function.

What was very trouble in this case was the lack of error reporting that created an excessive amount of down time because of how the QuickTime dependancy is handled and because VW doesn't say why it refuses to execute.

Down time was also extended past what it could have been had the first person in support known that when VW refuses to start on a new windows installation, that the user should be checking to see what version of QuickTime is installed.

Hopefully this issue will shed light to NNA Engineering and any VW users who find themselves with the symptoms I show above.

Edited by Roger...

Good news on getting yours to work as well. I've noticed that QuickTime 7.4.093 isn't as stable as I had seen previous version demonstrate. For example I'm noticing it will occasionally crash itself when it tries to check for updates. This crash isn't too big a problem, but it does stop everything and it requires the user to deal with the "Send This Report" to Microsoft Error Dialog.

Hopefully QuickTime will publish an update soon and I'll be able to reinstall to stop this distraction