What is the best way to export VW into usable dwg files?

Krista

Question

Hi,

I am a PC/AutoCAD user working with an associate architect who is Mac/VW based.

I know this is an eternal question, but what is the best way for him to export dwg drawings to me?

We recently went through a background exchange and I had severe problems with his drawings. All the drawings came in scaled to whatever the paper size was...more disconcerting, when I print drawings with his backgrounds to my plotter or pdf, I have mysterious objects & hatches that show up. They are objects and hatches that were once in his drawing, but either have been deleted or purged. I can no longer see or select them in CAD, but they show up in the prints. Also, his files seem to make my plot styles drop out and all my lines are one weight.

They only solution I could gather was to scale the entire drawing by hand and W-block the entire thing to a clean file. And this only sort of works. Not to mention the risk of losing misaligning orientation points.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Is my associate architect not exporting properly, or are these common problems? I will be posting on an AutoCAD forum too,

I'll report if I find any wisdom.

Thanks!

K

16 answers to this question

I'm a Mac/VW user and frequently work with someone who is a PC/AutoCAD user. I think you need to talk with your associate and get them to select/de-select certain options when they export a DWG. Example: I always export my layers as classes and make sure that my line weights are exported as colors so that the is color contrast in the drawing for them.

There are hatch options and scaling options that might help you. Also, make sure you select the appropriate options when importing the file.

hope this helps.

I am having similar issues sending a VW 2008 drawing to my Autocad LT (2004) electrical engineers.

The files open ok, but they want to put all the base building items (Walls, doors, window, plumbing fixtures) onto another color layer to use as a back ground. they cannot do this to blocks (toilets, doors, etc).

They try to explode the blocks and it crashes the program.

I exported with Layers as Classes, with and without the color for line wight option and with and without the hatches and textures. Same thing. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks.

I've been using VW for less than a year now but I've sent several sets of CAD backgrounds to structural engineers.

I did some experimenting at the beginning and here is what I found to work best.

1. Export from Design Layers NOT sheet Layers (unless sending SLVP elevations/sections) - one layer at a time if using separate layers for new vs. existing.

2. Export to DWG version 14/LT98/LT97 - See attached image for settings.

3. Send PDF along with files to show what is being sent.

This has worked well for me thus far.

In a separate file I sometimes "explode" all the smart objects to just lines and fills. I select all the objects to be exported copy them into a new file, convert them to group then ungroup. That way there are no PIOs for them to mess with. Of course this is only for sending 2D cad files.

Hi,I am attempting to import VW .mcd files into AutoCAD (converted as .dwg), draw/render them in AutoCAD, and then import the .dwg's -- converted in VW "DXF/DWG File" prompt. So far, I CAN import the VW .mcd files into AutoCAD; but then AutoCAD appears to be unfriendly to them. However, I CAN continue to work on the "converted" file in AutoCAD format, but then I CANNOT print file to .pdf format on Adobe PDF Maker. Worse still, when I attempt to import from AutoCAD into VectorWorks, I see the following VW message: "Open DWG Library Error 8. This DWG version is not supported." I am presently using AutoCAD 2009 and VectorWorks 12.5.1. Any suggestions, please?

I have an export difficulty that i can't work out -

a collegue at the computer next to me is tried to export from a sheet file with one xref attached. after exporting he checked the file and the xref was not there. When i export the same file in the same way with the same settings from my computer the xref does appear. I have checked all setting and cannot work out what would be different between the two computers, both macs running the same version of vectorworks..

any ideas?

I may be re-stating but.....

I am trying to convert a VW Sheet file to a DWG. Meaning the VW file has 4 working files referenced into it and I want the DWG to look just like the Sheet File when it's converted. When I do a simple conversion to DWG, my consultant says there is no data when he opens the file? So how can I convert this referenced file to a dwg?

PLEASE HELP.

Hello- i hope still tracking this post

I am also having problems converting a VW file to a DWG. you said export from the design layers not the sheet layers.....but if you do that then the consultant who is getting the dwg is not getting the entire Sheet as I set it up. Meaning the VW file has 4 working files referenced into it and I want the DWG to look just like the Sheet File when it's converted. When I do a simple conversion to DWG from the sheet file, my consultant says there is no data when he opens the file? So how can I convert this referenced file to a dwg?

PLEASE HELP.

I have VW2009 and importing or exporting DWG files of any version of AutoCAD into and from VW2009 still has all kind of big and small surprises, odd behaivior and scaling results.

You would think that this import/export DWG would be already well debugged and working correctly given the critical importance for all VW users to be able handle AutoCAD files in the professional and commercial environments

You would think that this import/export DWG would be already well debugged and working correctly

That would be true if both programs were stuck in time. The truth is AutoCad changes with every version, as does VW.

They do not release specs on DWG and it must be reverse engineered. Then there is the problem of features in VW that are not supported in AutoCad and features in AutoCad that are not supported in VW and how best to translate them.