DXF and different scales

Our practice has been using VW and MC since MC5. As there's nothing like AIA Layer Guidelines in Brazil we have set up our own drawing standars. In addition to that, the standard in CAD software in Brazil is AutoCad. 95% of CAD users do use Autodesk's application, from engineering and architectural practices to public authorities. As a result dxf/dwg file conversion is always taking place. There are some issues here that remain unsolved, like exporting symbols with attached records, exporting worksheets, etc; my biggest concern, however, is in terms of exporting sheets that have drawings in different scales (the sheet itself is usually drawn in 1:1 scale) AND retainig its garphic organzation (ie, keeping the marigins where they should be, preserving the original arrangement of the drawings, etc). Has anyone devised a solution for that other than simply creating exporting files with drawings only in the same scale?

Boris,

In my experience, DXF/DWG is such a primitive "lowest common denominator" format for translation that the Autocad operator receiving the drawings must understand the limitations.

I do DXF export a lot. I resave the drawing in Autocad R14 format. Here are some limitations and solutions:

Use Julian Carr's DXF Manager to prep the VW drawing, especially converting symbols to groups if you have different scale layers. Convert worksheets to text and lines (!) and group them. Avoid layer scale difference greater than 1:10 ratio. Forget about arrangement of title blocks, just export the drawings. Realign the origin to the center.

Some of the things to avoid is combining different scale layers into a printable VW drawing. It will not look right after DXF export. Another approach to avoid for DXF is composing sheets with only layer link items without their aligned layers intact. For example, a site plan with boundaries to go far beyond the drawing border is okay as long as it aligns on a different layer. Detail drawings are best separated as a different drawing. Many other little tricks.

------------------

Kenneth