Version Alternatives

I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong forum and can chage accordingly if so but I have a question.

I work in a company that uses AutoCad98 and MiniCad7. They will probably update in the near future but I am tasked with trying to find an alternative for the short term.

They are often sent drawings in higher formats (AutoCad2000 and VectorWorks8). I am looking for viewers. Viewers for AutoCad are easy but cannot find anything for VectorWorks.

I realize that you can export in VectorWorks but...is there any type of standalone viewer for VectorWorks? Idealy, is there a viewer for AutoCad and VectorWorks in one? Doesn't have to be fancy, just view and print. If anyone has any suggestions...thank you.

quote:

Originally posted by Blaster:

I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong forum and can chage accordingly if so but I have a question.

I work in a company that uses AutoCad98 and MiniCad7. They will probably update in the near future but I am tasked with trying to find an alternative for the short term.

They are often sent drawings in higher formats (AutoCad2000 and VectorWorks8). I am looking for viewers. Viewers for AutoCad are easy but cannot find anything for VectorWorks.

I realize that you can export in VectorWorks but...is there any type of standalone viewer for VectorWorks? Idealy, is there a viewer for AutoCad and VectorWorks in one? Doesn't have to be fancy, just view and print. If anyone has any suggestions...thank you.

Perhaps you could use the demo version of VectorWorks. You can't print or save, but you can view it. Check it out here:

http://www.nemetschek.net/downloads/vectorworks/vwdownloadform.html

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It would be better to use the demo version to view the file. Several features that were added in VectorWorks 8.x do not translate well into MiniCAD 7.

--------------------------------------------

If you are receiving a file from VectorWorks, ask for it in MiniCAD 7 format. The only other way would be to ask for a PD file.

------------------

Janis Kent, AIA

author WorksTutorial & WorksManual

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I work for a company that receives many different file formats. The users don't want to have to deal with managing who sends what. They have asked me to provide some kind of viewer that just opens anyformat if their native app doesnt but I don't think this will be possible. I'll re-enforce that they will have to manage what clients send them. Thanks again.