Dual version install

IanH

Question

I just want to check that I can perform a dual version install and, more importantly, uninstall of one or the other keeping the other installation intact.

I have dongle versions of student 11.5 Landmark + Renderworks and full retail 2008 Designer + renderworks. I already have the 11.5 installed on my Windows XP laptop and want to see if 2008 will perform OK so I don't need to worry about saving files in the correct format before I use my laptop. If it does, I will uninstall 11.5, if it does not, I will keep 11.5 and uninstall 2008. Obviously I will need to use both dongles.

Are the installations kept completely separate or when uninstalling one of the installations, will it damage the other?

Finally, is there a standalone utility that can convert VW2008 versions back to earlier (ie 11.5). If I do end up running dual installations, I would like the the ability to convert 2008 files to 11.5 without having to do a save as on my main machine (Vista).

Laptop is for use at college so is covered by student license and I believe that my 2008 license covers me for use on two machines if only one is used at a time - which is forced by the dongle anyhow.

3 answers to this question

There shouldn't be an issue with having both installed at the same time.

The registry keys, application data settings, and Program Files all include the version, so they should be properly separated out.

As it happens, 2008 ran great (in fact I was delighted by the performance seeming more snappy than 11.5 although the Laptop does have 2GB RAM) on my laptop so its staying and I have now uninstalled 11.5. Just need to share the dongle.

The only issue that I encountered was when uninstalling 11.5 when the uninstall of 11.5 did not sucessfully complete. Further investigation showed that 11.5 and 2008 were assumed to be the same program, so I just manually deleted the 11.5 file structure as even the manual uninstaller did not work. I have not used 2008 in anger since then, but it seems OK after a few basic tests.

XP Home on Sony Vaio FS315S, 2GB RAM, 1.86GHz mobile processor.