3d hinge direction

I have got this to show on one elevation / vp but not on the others!?

Checked everything out. The box is ticked in the windows and doors for 3 d hinge direction. The vps are all the same with the same classes and layers turned on with HL as the background render and no foreground render. tried fliping the doors and windows round and varying offsets but to no avail. The hinge direction will only show on the back elevation and none of the others!!??

Guest Wes Gardner

In the Design Layer, when you double click on a window and the Window Settings dialog box opens, under the "Parts" settings, do you see the hinge direction shown?

I assume the windows are NOT fixed glass...

If they're Custom sash, there's another place (in the Custom sash pane) where you need to select the operation - i.e. left casement, etc.

Edited by Wes Gardner

mw, I have had the same problem. I have found display of 3d hinge direction to be sporadic. I have some files where it won't show at all but if I start a new drawing, I can get hinge direction to display but only on the exterior side of a wall (not a terribly useful distinguisher on INTERIOR walls.)

I'd also love some help with this problem.

Wes

Yep, checked all the settings suggested and they are set correct and whilst the back windows show the hinge direction the front ones don't, even though the settings are the same!

Just found out what the problem is. The wall has to be flipped, ie inside to outside, which I did with the mirror tool. So I guess the window openings will not show on the inside. Now that is not so critcical to me but now I have to flip all my walls, change all my component make ups, etc!

Reverse sides does not seem to do the trick. Unless you play around with flipping the windows and pulling the windows in and out of the walls.

Funny flipping the back wall does not seem to make a difference - the hinges show either way, but the windows still have to face out. The wall components are different on the back to the front.

This must have something to do with hinges not showing on the inside and so your wall / window set up has to have the outside on the outside. But how do you know which is outside and inside? Outside of window and walls must be on the outside

Just about to start on site and I will have to change all the drawings to implement a handy extra which together with the two way worksheets was suppose to give me quick and easy door and window schedules.

Would it not be simpler if the hinge direction showed on both sides?

So far it has taken me longer, now I am havibg to do a redraw, redimension and I am not convinced this will work!

Also trying to change the hinge direction from left to right and the settings automatically change the 1 row by 1 column to 1 row by 2 column. This still shows as 1 by 1 in the custom sash settings but the elevation changes to 1 by 2 casement!! If I persist with the settings a script error occurs and VW gives up and crashes!!!

Guest Wes Gardner

I concur - however, if I draw a wall and place a window in it I CAN see the hinge direction on both sides (oriented correctly as I flip the wall from "Front" to "Back" - my test wall is a simple unstyled wall with a casement window in it - I used a "NEW" file - the classes that are "ON" are Dims, None and Sills

What I'd like to see is a small red (or pick your color) reference arrow pointing "OUT" when I place my windows - in several of my projects I "paint" the jambs, sills etc. on the exterior and have had to flip several windows...

I thought I caught a pair of outswing "French" doors NOT being able to accept color on the exterior - I'll need to go back for a bit and check that out.

My last project I did just that - dashed lines for hinge direction as I didn't want them to show in perspective or rendered views.

Edited by Wes Gardner