suggestions for new large format plotter--HP T610 or similar

Brian R

Question

I am planning to finally get an in-house 24" plotter instead of outsourcing. Until now I have used an Apple 11x17 laserwriter for 10 years.

HP at Macworld SF suggested HPDesignJet 110plus series, T610, or T1100 to work with my Apple Power PC G4 733 MHz; OS10.39; VW12.5.

I will be plotting mostly architectural B&W line drawings with temptation to do some color work for renderings.

Has anyone had experience with one of these printers? Is there a need for a separate driver, and does this require massive memory in computer?

6 answers to this question

I'm a HP 130 nr user. I think the 110 you're thinking of is similar to the 130. I've no problem with memory or drivers on an Imac with 1GB RAM. The plotter worked straight out of the box with the software HP supplied. It's robust, ink cartridges last well (although are fairly expensive to replace) and output is fast enough with high quality available when needed. Plotter heads are replaceable - I've replaced one in the three years I've had the machine.

Thanks for the reply. The HP rep's recommended list of models seems different than typ. plotters listed in this forum, either because they are a new model numbering, or maybe because they are all focused on line drawings. The 130 you cited costs +$300 more and appears to be twice the resolution dpi as the 110 and as a result prints more slowly, so maybe you can do photos. The advantage of the 110 and 130 table top plotters is they seem to have input trays in addition to optional roll sheet input. How good is the 130 for black lines? The 110 has only 4 colors plus "black pigment dye".

Brian

I agree with Inveresk - I have a 130nr as well, on a stand.

It's an OK machine, I think there's always what I call "creeping elegance" - it starts out looking good because it's better than what preceded it, and after a while you start to get picky. It's noisy even when not printing, so I keep it turned off otherwise, and it makes some very odd noises when getting underway.

One thing that did irritate me was that mine came with only a small black ink tank which didn't last long - it seemed mean-spirited to me. I would ask for a large tank to be tossed in to the package. Also one of the print heads was faulty, but I did get that replaced for free (well, I refused to pay for it), and I've had no further problems.

I would go with the highest resolution model possible, you can always do ordinary prints at a lower setting, but sooner or later you'll want to do something classy. I use the roll paper for ordinary printing (funny how the roll is never long enough), and you can use cut sheets for hi-res work.

I chose this particular model because I was promised wireless printing, but that proved impossible to set up, so I still have a cord across the floor, and with USB, the printer need to be reasonably close to the computer.

Incidentally, they're printers, not plotters - all the manufacturers get pained expressions if you call them plotters.

HTH

Refurbished HP plotters can offer good value. Basically they can be rebuilt for a few hundred dollars.

You can get a workhorse like the 750c from CESplot.com for much less than a new plotter.

In my opinion, color output is acceptable for architectural presentations with a viewing distance of a few feet.

HP has drivers for OS X...I guess that would work for your OS, I'm no Mac expert...and that could be why I even bother to mention a used plotter as an option.

After deliberating, I had a DesignJet T610 delivered by HP and have set it up, but not used it yet. It must be a new model or of a selection specifically targeting linework, vs photo type printing, since it is not a model number addressed in this forum.

It shipped with a DVD with installer and directions, which unfortuneately can't be read on an older G4, so I downloaded an installer and am waiting to receive appropriate instructions.

Perhaps you'll hear more later. Thanks.

Brian R

After deliberating, I had a DesignJet T610 delivered by HP and have set it up, but not used it yet. It must be a new model or of a selection specifically targeting linework, vs photo type printing, since it is not a model number addressed in this forum.

It shipped with a DVD with installer and directions, which unfortuneately can't be read on an older G4, so I downloaded an installer and am waiting to receive appropriate instructions.

Perhaps you'll hear more later. Thanks.

Brian R

I just bought the bigger brother, the T1100. Works almost flawlessy, except one single VW drawing that gets stuck in the plotter spooler. Seems it's a driver limitation.