Planting Plan 2008 Upgrade WARNING! ASLA

gbland

Please note that if you are a 12.5 user and upgrade to 2008 there is a serious problem upgrading plans with plants created using the 12.5 planting tool. When this is attempted several things happen:

1. Some plant ID names change adding 1,2,3 or more extra plant ids for the same plants.

2. The new plant record for 2008 changes "botanical name" to "

latin name" which has to be manually corrected in any plant worksheets. (This actually has an easy work around)

3. The quantity field in the plant record was fomatted as number in VW12.5 and has been changed to text format in 2008. This is the reason why quantities will not display or calculate in the database correctly.

After sending my files to tech support and spending the whole week with the VW tech support trying to figure out what went wrong I get a response today as follows:

"According to our engineering department, they are fully aware of this problem and are in the process of creating a solution. Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing how long it will take before this solution will be available but please be sure that as soon as its made available, you will be the first to know."

To put it mildly I am extremely miffed! I spend the $$$ to change from autocad to vectorworks and spend a year on the learning curve to feel good working with VW. Then I upgrade to 2008, continue work on 3 large projects with existing planting plans (from VW12.5) and then now find out that I cannot continue forward, change, or add to these planting plans. It looks as if I am going to have to save my new changes back to VW12 and wait for tech support to thow me a life preserver. Or maybe I should export to .dwg and go back to Autocad. Either way this does not help my bottom line.

I just don't want any other Landscape Architects to get in this boat with me. If you upgrade to 2008, don't upgrade any of your planting projects to 2008. Vectorworks - get the word out to everyone who upgraded to 2008 that this is a problem!!!!

Just got a call from Derek (one of the developers of the plant tool) at Vectorworks. He helped fix the plant record situation. We import a generic plant (one that is not in the problem drawing) and replace the plant record when prompted. This gets the worksheet to be able to count the plants correctly.

It seems that the additional plants, that mysteriously appear, come when there are multiple plant groupings that have different attributes in vw12.5 ie different spacings. So now each individual plant symbol name has all the same attribute throughout the drawing. I still have some clean up to do, but now I know how.

Thanks Derek - keep working on that fix.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

While we are working on an automated fix for the problem with translating 12.5 files to 2008 the following steps will correct the translation problems.

1. Plants that appear with a -1 after them are caused by parameter differences. Use plant replace if you need to consolidate these items.

2. 12.5 plant reports need to have the 'botanical' database string replaced with 'latin' to match the record field. Or you can import a working plant record from a 2008 file through the resource browser.

3. The quantity field of the plant record becomes a string when translated from 12.5 to 2008. To correct this place a plant in a new document in 2008. Use the resource browser to 'reference' the new plant into the translated document. The reference operation will ask if you want to overwrite the existing record. Click yes. This will update the record format and preserve the existing data. The referenced plant can be deleted at this point.

Edited by Darick@NNA