worksheets and schedules

Thinking of using worksheets for the first time.

Normally and up to now we have done window and door schedules in Excel which works fine but we would like to give worksheets ago. In preparation we have been setting the doors and windows up on the last few peojects with refs using the object info database and so it should be just a flick of a swith?!

Is that wise?

Do you use worksheets for window and door schedules?

Can you suggest any helpful links, templates, etc?

Thoughts appreciated.

Under the Organize menu, there's a command "Create Report", that you can use to set up worksheets for symbols and objects that are linked to a record.

It may be a good place to start exploring worksheet setups, formula's, etc.

Also, the VW worksheets can be exported and opened in Excel.

Michael,

In Architect select Tools>Reports>VA Create Schedule... and then select either "Door Schedule" or "Window Schedule". These will give you default schedules with most, if not all, PIO data fields in them. You can delete columns, as necessary and not affect the doors or their data.

If you want an example, download the Alexandria Laundry Lofts VWX file from the BIM in Practice page on the website. Both schedules are contained within.

Michael,

One more note. You may need to "Edit Criteria" of the database row in order to count the doors/windows you want. By default, I believe the schedules look for all door/window objects in all the design layers with the "on schedule" option turned on (TRUE). If you have design layer viewports, which copy the information of one design layer to another (like old-style layer links) it will count them too.

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi Michael,

Just a brief add...I'm not sure what is info is typical to show in UK, but there is a bit of a bug in the Door Schedule - in the column where the data for the SILL DETAIL will flow, in the Database Header row, you need to change the "code" slightly to read 'ThreshDetail' NOT 'ThresholdDetail' - then the info you enter in the Door Settings pane will flow correctly.

Otherwise, the Door and Window Schedules are truly labor savers as they are coordinated and updated as you change things in the model - they are also two-way so you can change, say, the width of a window and it will change in plan

good luck, let us know how it goes

Well not going so well!

Admitidally just starting, but....

The termology is too ammerican.

There is too much info and can not seem to be able to change the info col headings.

Our windows are normally custom but it just shows custom and not the make up. ie side hung casements

On the door schedule the doors are not listed sequentially, ie D01, D02, D03, etc but as D03, D01, D05, etc and I have not found a way of changing that. Windows seems to be alright.

Thanks for your help.

Guest Wes Gardner

A sort function can be performed by clicking on the Database Headers row - up near the top left drag one of the ascending or descending icons onto the column you want to have sorted - for the "stock" Door Schedule, it's column "B"

Cutting and pasting functions are accomplished by right clicking in the column heads (or elsewhere)

Getting sorted now.

You may have picked up on the hinge direction problem in another thread.

Some queries:

Not sure why the VA Window Schedule shows sills as masonry when in the object info the sill tab is not clicked. [Wish I could add sills and lintels but do not like the way it reduces opening sizes to include them]. In the data info I have added the sill description as stone but this does not show on the schedule!?

In the window and door settings in the object info there is a long list of data cretria but not all of it shows on the schedule. Say I want to add lintel type or window finish to the data and how do I make a col in the schedule for that to be shown?

How do I change the col header titles? I have clicked on the existing headers and changed the text in the top box but the text will not change in the schedule - what am I doing wrong?

I am sure it has to do with paste creteria or function but can not get round it.

Can you not do an undo whilst in the schedule?

Thanks for your help.

Guest Wes Gardner

Michael,

You have stumbled upon some of the "black magic" that lies within this program...

If you want to add columns of info into your Door or Window Schedules that are listed in the Window or Door Settings panes but are NOT listed in the "stock" Door/Window Schedule you need to, well...mess with things a bit.

First familiarize yourself with adding/deleting columns in the Door/Window worksheets - this is also the place to edit the column names - create the schedule with the typical Tools >> Reports >> VA Create Schedule scenario. Place the schedule on the drawing and double click to open the worksheet.

The fun begins now...to add a column click on a column header letter, go over to the top left(just under the red X and green check mark) and find the small "down" arrow's drop-down menu - go to INSERT >> Columns...Voila - new column

To edit a Column Header Name - click in that cell and look up at the top left near the green check mark - this is where you can edit the name.

Now the black magic - to get Sill Description info to flow from the Window Settings pane to the Window Schedule you need to know the Database Header code for this info - you'll find it in Tools >> Scripts >> VectorScript Plug-In Editor - scroll down and find Window and Click on Parameters (have I lost you yet?) the two columns you're interested in are Name and Alternate Name - Alternate Name is the one listed in the Window Settings pane, Name is the one you'll enter into the Database Header row as "code". They will not be the same name as is the case here. So find Sill Description under Alternate Name and WindowSill under Name - got it? Now back to the worksheet. Under the small "down" arrow near the red X find Database Headers hover over it and it will activate. click in one of the row's individual cells and observe the "code" there - this is the magic we're after. Now cut and paste code from one of the adjacent cells into your newly created column's Database Header cell (it's just easier to cut and paste to get alot of the formula - you don't need to do this, just insure you include the equals signs and periods where appropriate) . Modify it to read =(Window.WindowSill) Voila - now the data will flow...Remember the text entered has to be EXACTLY right or it won't work - you'll need to practice this a bit I suspect - I did MANY times.

FYI - you need to RECALCULATE to see changes...that is done under that same small "down" arrow. My e-mail is wgardner@vectorworks.net if I can be of further help.

Edited by Wes Gardner
Guest Wes Gardner

Further Magic can be performed such as counting items, adding a "Location" column to the Door or Window Schedule(s), creating a List of drawings the "sucks" its data from the title block info.... have some fun with it.

Edited by Wes Gardner

Wes,

IMHO you have written a very succinct description of this process. And it only took 267 words! ;)

I don't think I could have done it with twice the number. Seriously.

I wonder if this is one of the features NNA has in mind when they mention words like "intuitive" or "user friendly".

Worksheets are very powerful and I am happy to have the ability to do these sorts of things, but there must be a better workflow. NNA, can't you simplify this stuff so the average user can more easily take advantage of these capabilities?

Wes

Thanks - gosh a lot of words and thanks for the time - it will take me a lot longer to use them to work things out and I will give it ago - but for now I have given up and issued the schedules incomplete or not as complete as I would have liked.

We are trying to use VW architect / renderworks fully as perscribed and promoted by NNA. Two way worksheets sounds great but, like a lot of things, you need to be an expert in programming to work it out. I am only an architect trying to get the job done and whilst I am fairly competant with CAD and IT, a lot of users are not and I can quiet understand that they do not use vw fully or turn to much simpler CAD programmes.

Guest Wes Gardner

Michael,

Let us know how it turns out. Yes, agree, we are still not to the point where we can click a mouse and have the program design the building (or I haven't yet found that resource in VW) ;-)

Wes

Ha! Yep, it did take me a few words to say "Open the worksheet, insert this code" didn't it...

Wes,

That's exactly my point, it isn't as easy as that. It's very convoluted. Having to go to a place three levels deep on a menubar, open the VS Editor, and then go two or three levels deep to find a name for something that you think you already know the name of is not user friendly. It's like having to put your boots on and walk out to the pond to chop off a chunk of ice to put in your cocktail when you should be able to just push the ice maker on the freezer door.

These names are used frequently. They should be available in a scrolling window like the functions are or by some other clever method.

If using the VS Editor is the ONLY way that this can be achieved, then at the very least, it should be able to be opened directly from the worksheet menu under the flippy triangle.

You don't necessarily have to go xxx levels deep or open the VS Editor, it's just a matter of learning the worksheet's syntax. Once you did, you'll simply type a formula like =recordname.fieldname, think Excel.

What Wes was kind enough to do, was to show us the origin of this record/field concept in a visual way rather than as an abstract formula. In case his answer raised some reader's eyebrows, rest asured : it's not as hard as it sounded ;-)

Edited by Gerrit

Gerrit,

Agreed. I am familiar with using Excel and understand the concept of formulas and functions.

And I am grateful to Wes for his clear description which is why I thanked him. When I mentioned the number of words he used, I wasn't being flippant. I could NOT have done it in less.

However, I dont think syntax is the issue. It is very important to use the proper Name in the formula or it will not work right. How is an average user to know that in order to show the 'Manufacturer' in his worksheet he must list it in the formula as "ManufSupplier"? This is information that must be retrieved from somewhere else. It is not available on the OIP since the OIP uses the Alternate Names.

I'm merely suggesting that the current way to retrieve this information is cumbersome and could be made much more intuitive.