Can't insert doors!

VW8.5.1 on W2k:

This has happened before, and somewhat sporadically: I cannot insert any new doors. If I go to the pallette and click the door button, it creates new, blank Records, but does not actually switch to the Insert Door command. Furthermore, if I duplicate a wall with a door in it (to drag that door into my blank wall), the wall duplicates without the door in it (!). If I drag a door out of a wall, duplicate _it_, and then drag it into the blank wall, the door stays in place (floating in space), but becomes part of the wall; as in, when I select it (sitting 5' from the wall), the wall selects as well. But the Position button on the Info pallette acts as a dummy. The Flip button causes VW to crash.

On a blank document, I can create a door normally. This document is large (20M) and over a year old. In the past, I've successfully created new doors using the methods outlined above; the program is being unusually intransigient today. Please help (and soon!).

Jason