storefront plus door integration

Chris,

You can't embed the door object into the storefront/Window Wall(Straight) object. If you tweaked the Window Wall just right, you can "Ungroup" it in a 3D view/iso, break up the object to make room for the Door and then insert the door into the group.

OR

You could use the wall tool and create a glazing wall style. Then insert the Mullion object into the wall where desired. Next, insert the Door into the wall. For horizontal mullions, create a profile and draw a line for a path, then invoke the Extrude Along Path command. Group it all together. Copy the mullions vertically as needed within the group and subtract solids, as necessary. I used this technique extensively for the Ellicott Heights BIM in Practice file. Some I made into Symbols others were just groups.

Why didn't it occur to any of the people developing the storefront tool that maybe the ability to insert a door was more than just a good idea but an essential part of the tool? Instead, Chris is offered a work around that makes my eyes glaze over, and I've been using the program for years. Thank heavens I've got access to Julian Carr's Windoor.

As a long time user, I would really like development time spent on getting existing tools right and comprehensive (stairs, balustrades and handrails spring to mind) before any more tools or concepts are introduced.

Gentlemen,

It would be helpful to our engineers if you listed the "obvious particulars" in a Wishlist Forum thread for each particular object/tool of concern. Without explicit architectural knowledge, especially from our different markets from around the world, they rely on succinct feedback from the users on ways to improve tools. Your help is appreciated. And timing is always crucial. All I'll say is, "Get your comments/wishes in NOW" (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).