IFC plugin

Hello, I work for a small architectural firm in the Netherlands. We're about to start a project that will use the BIM method. I read through the Nemetschek pages about BIM and was wondering where I can find this plugin. I also would like to know if there are people on this forum that have any experience with BIM and Vectorworks. The forum search engine can't seem to find a lot about this subject.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Peter van der Elst

Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Peter,

If you have a VW design series product (e.g. Architect, Designer, Landmark), then you should have the IFC plug-ins. They are a part of the File>Export menu.

VectorWorks Architect is currently shipping with a level-one certified implementation of IFC export and import. We support IFC 2.0, IFC 2x2, and IFC 2x3. We are currently in process on obtaining certification from GSA regarding compatibility with their BIM Guide as it relates to IFC. VectorWorks users can expect our IFC implementation to be aggressively maturing, in the coming months, as we continue to identify IFC-related workflows and third-party applications critical to our users' success with VectorWorks Architect as a BIM application.

Your insight and request would be greatly valued as we continue to improve and develop IFC-related tools.

Thanks for the quick reply. We currently use Fundamentals but we're about to upgrade to Architect. Another thing. Although the Nemetschek IFC viewer works good through Parallels under OS X, are you planning to release a native OS X program as well? I am now evaluating the Solibri viewer and it looks good! There are a lot of programs listed with that program except for Vectorworks, but maybe that will change in future releases. Again if someone could share some experiences with VWA and BIM I would be thankfull.

Regards,

Peter

The Nemetschek IFC Viewer is a Nemetschek AG product. As far as I am aware of, NAG doesn't directly produce any Mac OS compatible software (except those produced by its subsidiaries). Also, I am not aware of their plans or further support of the product.

I would strongly recommend Solibri's products. We (NNA) are currently using Solibri Model Checker (SMC) as the standard against which our efforts for GSA certification and overall IFC implementation are judged. Besides SMC, Solibri also provides a free Model Viewer, almost identical to Model Checker. I'm sure after GSA certification is completed, we will be listed on the Solibri website.