VW & AutoCad

I am a designer who generally works for architects. I use VW, they use AutoCad. I would like to be as compatible as possible with my clients. What is the best way to configure my symbols, classes, colors, layers, etc., for maximum compatibility?

If this is too complex to answer in this forum, has someone written a definitive piece on this? I could really use some help with this.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used Acad and VW for years and there seems to be no difinitive paper or standard for either Acad, VW let alone compatibility between the two. Maybe it's that there are many competing standards.

Generally I use VW classes to emulate Acad layers. Preface your classes with A-xxx A for Architecture, S for Structural, M for Mechanical, etc. As for the xxx, so schools of thought suggest that should describe objects like walls, windows, doors, etc. etc. etc. The most important class in this scheme is misl. The other school beleive the class/layer should describe graphic qualities ie, line thichness and line type. (it is a drawing after all)

As for colours.. each Acad office will have differenent standards for colour to pen thickness. This is a hangover from the days of pen plotters.

Symbol names are also a tower of babal. I like to use the masterspec divisions to preface each item.

Generally chaos rules. each office has a system based on history and some abandoned attempt at logic. There is lots of talk about compadibility, but even Acad to Acad this is very hard. Remember layer/classes and symbols will sort alphebetically; keep things simple; and don't take the idea of 'order' too seriously because it is unatainable.

best of luck

Chris V.