Edit rectangle by distance

Richard T

Question

Using the 2D selection tool, it would be fantastic to be able to edit the size of a rectangle by keying in a distance (ie L=xx) in the data bar. Sure, you can edit the size of the rectangle in the OIP, but often you need to change it by a known distance, so you have to calculate the new size, make sure you have the right vertex/control point selected, and then key it in - being able to select a vertex of the rectangle and key in the distance change would be a lot simpler.

6 answers to this question

Your comments seem to make more sense about polygons/polylines thatn about the rectangles that you state.

You do know don't you that you can do basic math in nearly all of the VW numeric fields?

In either the data bar or the OIP, tab into a field, use the right arrow to get to the end of the number and type in +, -, *, / and the number you want to change the value by.

Pat

I admit I didn't realise you could do it in the floating data bar. However I'm all for doing things in the least number of steps possible, and simply too. With the current method, to modify the height of a rectangle by 400mm takes as a minimum 7 steps:

1. Click on corner of rectangle

2. Move mouse away from corner to get the data bar

3. Tab twice to the height field

4. Press "End" on the keyboard to get to the end of the field

5. Type "-400"

6. Press "Enter"

7. Click with mouse to accept changes

It just seems like a lot of unnecessary fluffing around to me when it could be done simpler. Maybe I'm just spoiled coming from a system where the same operation would be just 4 steps:

1. Click on corner

2. Move mouse

3. Type "400"

4. Click mouse and all is done

I'll certainly have to remember to use more math in fields, but I still think an 'L' field for editing rectangles would be very useful.