IMporting Walls from V11

was wondering if there was a way to import wall styles from V.11 and have them appear in the list. Also, have added/saved a few walls in a given project but don't understand 2008's structure well enough to understand how to make them generally available to other projects.

I apologize for the nuisance of this post but I don't really understand the preference/template/library structures within this program. Seem a bit overly convoluted personally. But then again, Im not a computer tech head either, just a user.

Thanks in Advance

• 3 months later...

Importing VW 11 Styles cannot be done directly, but this method will work:

1. Create a VW 11 drawing containing a short length of wall of each wall type.

2. Open this VW 11 drawing with VW 2008 and save it so you now have a VW 2008 version.

3. Set the Eye Dropper tool to pick up All attributes for Fill, Pen, Line, Wall and Other. Make sure the option of Pick Up Sets Defaults is checkmarked.

4. Pick up the attributes of the first wall with the Eye Dropper tool, thereby setting the Wall tool settings.

5. Switch to the Wall tool and click on the Preferences button.

6. Use the Save Preferences as Wall Style option to save these Wall tool settings as a Wall Style.

7. Repeat steps 4-6 for all of the different Wall types in the converted file.

8. On completion save the file.

If you then look in the Resource Browser you will find a Resource section for Wall Styles. These Wall styles can be sent to a Library file such as the Wall Styles file contained in the Walls folder in the Defaults folder in the Libraries folder in the Applications folder. Alternatively you can just save a copy of your current file to that location. The Wall Styles in the files in that 'Default' content folder will then be available directly from the pop-up list on the mode bar when the Wall tool is active.

Before doing this though I would check to make sure there isn't already a file in the Library containing most or all of these Wall Style types. To access Default Content you will need to have that Vectorworks Preference option checkmarked.

Wall Styles are file Resources which can be transferred to other files by either Import or Copy and Paste. To understnd how the Vectorworks libraries and resources work have a read of the entire Using Vectorworks Resources section in the Vectorworks manual (Online or print).

yes, however, I use the wall tool for other things in a 2D manner such as elevation dwgs of mouldings. Rather not have to import those (probably 100 of mouldings and moulding combinations). Plus, graphically I have them already set-up for line weights etc... that I prefer. Addionally, as their legal caveats state, they justifiably have no liability for the use of their products, I'd rather not use something provided by someone who won't accept the liability for the use of those elements provided, so would rather use the ones I know are correct and can stand behind. I think its sort of a nice gesture that they are provided, but without them legally standing behind the accuracy of the dimensions, ratings, etc... I would be a legally liable fool to use them in a set of real contract documents. You hang your hat on what they provide without substantiation and you will hang for it in a court of law when sued. But thats your choice.