VW debug output.txt

What is the file "VW debug output.txt" which keeps appearing in my HD folder? The text in the file is:

gList is valid!

gList is valid!

gList is valid!

Array contents after Y-axis sort:

0: TopLeft: (291.292646, 859.617646), BottomRight: (323.042646, 850.092646)

1: TopLeft: (291.292646, 1083.455146), BottomRight: (323.042646, 1073.930146)

2: TopLeft: (291.292646, 1569.230146), BottomRight: (323.042646, 1559.705146)

3: TopLeft: (291.292646, 2074.055146), BottomRight: (323.042646, 2064.530146)

gList is valid!

gList is valid!

hmm. I had first installed the SP2 for mac some time ago. I did not realize that Nem had provided another SP2 with a different build number. There were no announcements. For me the latest build of SP2 (82613) installed fine directly over (82099).

For what it's worth, I find it very strange that Nem would update the build SP2 without any notice or clarification.

Hi Bruce,

That log is a bit too sophisticated for me to understand the specific problem. However, now that VW2008 saves all of your custom settings in the user folder structure could you not consider to back that up (~/Library/Application Support/Vectorworks), uninstall VW2008 completely and then reinstall from the CD then apply the latest SP2 updater? I think you might have a smoother experience.

I see you're on a mac. It should be enough to trash the Vectorworks 2008 folder in your /Applications folder without too much risk. If you've got Time Machine active on your 10.5.1 system you should be able to delete without fear.

Bruce:

You actually have an error that has been popping up that we can't seem to reproduce in-house. It looks like, based on the logs, that you were later able to complete the update. Is this true?

If so, did you change anything to get it to work, or just try again? (And changes could even be as simple as a restart, moving to a different internet connection, literally anything).

Any input would be helpful.

Bruce:

You actually have an error that has been popping up that we can't seem to reproduce in-house. It looks like, based on the logs, that you were later able to complete the update. Is this true?

If so, did you change anything to get it to work, or just try again? (And changes could even be as simple as a restart, moving to a different internet connection, literally anything).

Any input would be helpful.

It did not update to the latest build. That's all I know!

It's still saying 78970 as your build number?

As I said, this has really got us scratching our heads. The issue you are seeing seems to affect a small percentage of all updates, and it does seem that generally if a person tries again, it will work.

What we are not sure of is if these people who it later works for are doing something different (possibly even as simple as reboot).

How many times have you tried? What happened the second time you ran it? Did it appear to work, but when you checked the version, it had not changed?

Actually, here is another question, did you actually see the failure occur? If so, do you recall how long the wide progress dialog was up before the error? Do you recall any details about what the status message was right before the failure?

Edited by jkelly

Ah, yeah. That'll help. As a longtime mac user I would recommend that you turn off the automatic sleep feature on any of your machines. You can have all sorts of processes go wrong if your machine sleeps at the wrong time. I'm not suggesting never to sleep your mac, but it's safer to control it manually, after you've saved all work, or finished any installers ;)

Glad you got it fixed.

jkelly,

I've been careful about sleep mode on my macs since switching from OS9 to OSX. I'm not saying I don't put my machines to sleep - the opposite, I am mainly on a portable and have to put it to sleep a dozen times a day for travel, etc. It's just that I advocate keeping sleep under manual control so you're sure there's nothing funky going on. Even with being careful, the apple laptops sometimes exhibit strange behavior in waking from sleep which, while not necessarily VW related, can really effect your work if you cannot successfully wake the machine. In realty, the unix core of OSX is designed to stay on 24/7 and some system relevant tasks take place during the late night hours when your machine is theoretically not in use - if it's in Sleep these maintenance tasks cannot happen.

Now whether this goes counter to any pro-environmental policy is not for me to say...

Well, I think Apple has done a lot of work to ensure that the sleep does not affect important maintenance tasks. For instance, I believe they do not use cron for these tasks, but an alternative scheduler, just because if a machine is asleep when a cron job is to run, it is simply skipped.

What this means for us, in particular, is that we are probably going to have to put in some code for the installers/updaters to keep them from sleeping.

We've had our QA department confirm here that the sleep issue is indeed what was causing the problem. Many thanks Bruce, we've been scratching our head at that one for quite some time.