Help on 3D strategy to draw a spoon.

I'm trying to draw the bowl of a spoon. Suggestions on strategy appreciated.

Here's what I tried.

Elipse converted to nurbs to define the plan view. Two nurbs profiles in x and y planes to define the shape of the bowl from side and end view. They go form side edge to side edge and tip to back of bowl. Surface from curves doesn't work until you split the nurbs elipse into 4 pieces to make all open nurbs curves.

This nearly works. But when I shell it to get thickness, the edges are tilted and discontinuities occur at the split points.

Any better ideas?

Hey, that's fantastic. Thanks. It's almost what I was doing but with one important difference. You don't use the elipse (you didn't even draw it) to define the curved surface. That avoids the discontinuities.

I will first draw the elipse to define where the end points of the ribs should be to get the final shape I want. But I won't include the elipse in the selection when I make the surface. That should give me just what I need.

To those of you who asked for more 3D training or tutorials. I think I just found a source of custom tutorials right here. Let's all do more of this. It will help all of us.

Spencer

• 3 months later...
  • 13 years later...
On 7/31/2003 at 1:28 PM, Spencer said:

I'm trying to draw the bowl of a spoon. Suggestions on strategy appreciated.

Here's what I tried.

Elipse converted to nurbs to define the plan view. Two nurbs profiles in x and y planes to define the shape of the bowl from side and end view. They go form side edge to side edge and tip to back of bowl. Surface from curves doesn't work until you split the nurbs elipse into 4 pieces to make all open nurbs curves.

This nearly works. But when I shell it to get thickness, the edges are tilted and discontinuities occur at the split points.

Any better ideas?

Any idea on how i could draw this on Vectorworks, its my major works and its due so soon but I cant see to know how to do it !!!!!!!!IMG_1815.JPG.jpeg.e6b04cd7840c7db38d58de99f89bb9b3.jpeg

On 6/27/2017 at 1:43 PM, Alan Woodwell said:

Hi, Is this what you are after??

Draw poly lines and then alter the each vertex to the desired curve. then extrude and fillet the edges from the 3d tool set.

Fork.vwx

Capture.JPG

Hi this is perfect, but when i open it up in vector works its a flat object. I am needing it to be designed so that when I send it off to a manufacturer it prints 3D.. i like the shape you made - just needs to be almost tubular and rounded for ergonomic reasons

Thank You so much

You have been such an amazing help.. I am just really stressing because its due so soon and I can't see it working out. Would you know how to draw this shape on vectorworks for the tip of the cutlery item. Also how would i connect the 'tip' of the cutlery item to the 'handle'

THANK YOU !!!!

Screen Shot 2017-07-02 at 8.28.46 am.png