Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

VectorScript and Symbols

MaxStudio

Jonathan is correct that it can be done, but how to do it depends on what you are trying to do.

So, what are you trying to do? Is it your symbol or just some generic symbol? Do you want to just go into the symbol edit mode, or do you want to make the changes and have them applied to all of the instances in the drawing?

Tell us more and we can probably help you.

Pat

It is possible, but not easy. My guess is that the built in Window tool have around 4-5000 man hours of programming time. You can certainly do it with VectorScript, but do you have the time? Even a simple window object with far less options that the built-in object would be a few weeks work, not something you can throw together in an afternoon.

Have you ever done any programming? VectorScript is similar to Pascal. Do you have Pascal experience? Do you like programming?

Have you checked out WinDoor Manager? It is a third party object with a different set of options to the defaults. If it does what you need, it will be a much better use of your time. www.ozcad.com.au

If you still want to go ahead, I will be glad to help you get started. The first step would be to write out all of the different pieces you want to draw and the ways you want to be able to modify them.

Pat

Hey guys, Yeah I have had some programming experiance. I took basic and pascal in highschool. always had fun creating programs on my calculator. I took C++ in college and have messed around with maxscripts and mels before. I think I even attempted ruby once.

I'm attaching an image file of the problem I'm trying to solve.

The company I work for has only worked in vectorworks in a 2d format. We just purchased VW 2008 and we are trying to get up to speed with the BIM aspects of VW. Our office prides ourselves on the way our drawings look and you can see the difference between the two windows in the image file. The default window does not technically look correct in plan where the modified marvin window does.

Thanks for all your help.

OK, it looks like what you are trying to do is much simpler than writing an entirely new window tool.

The Marvin window symbol (made with the generic window tool by the way) has the Use Wall Depth check box turned off, therefore it does not adjust to the wall setting. This makes sense since for a given Marvin window part number, the jamb depth is not going to change.

It looks like what you want to be able to do is set the window parameters, in plan view, you want to be able to add the extension sill(?) and wall lines.

To get the wall to cut properly in 3D, you need to put a 3D loci at each corner of the window (outside corner of the narrowest trim).

You can create a script that will insert a standard PIO, give a reduced set of parameters and add the objects you need.

For an example, take a look at the DanJ-Bolt tool at www.podcad.tv This is a wrapper script around the standard J-Bolt, Washer and Nut objects.

Go to the On-line help and read through the VectorScript Guide, especially the sections on Plug In Objects and Parameter Records.

My first step would be to create a "Simple Window" PIO that just inserts a regular window and shows a reduced set of parameters, Maybe as few as just the Height and Width. That will give you a good start that you can then build on to do the rest of what you are trying to do.

I hope this helps.

Pat

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The standard window will do what you want. See the attached image, which is a standard window. Note the highlighted settings, and note also the highlighted control point which controls the "component wrapping" of the wall. Turn off "Use wall depth" and set the jamb to a fixed depth. Use the "plan wall offset" to center the window the way you want in the wall. Or am I missing something?

Hey thanks guys!

robert I tried everything you had suggested but how can I edit the component wrapping on a default window? the component wrapping point you talk about are 2D loci? if so how do i edit them?

Pat I downloaded the Guide and will try to take an indepth look at it over the weekend. Thanks!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You edit the component wrapping on a standard VW window by first specifying the number of components to wrap. It has to be greater than zero. (See the highlighted field "External Comps" in my illustration.) Having a external or internal comps (to wrap) number greater than zero enables the control point (also highlighted in the image.) Moving this control point give you graphical control over the wrapping. It's actually much easier done than described once you know how to enable it...

I got it work. Thanks!

Another problem I ran into was when I was trying to use this window on a custom wall style I had created. I created a custom wall style that used a solid fill with a grey color. When I placed the window in the wall I had white blocks on either side of the window. After messing around with the window for awhile i realized that you can't use a custom wall style that uses a "Solid" fill. You need to use a wall style that uses a "Hatch". Otherwise you will get these white blocks on either side. Check out the attached pic.