DTM bringing in survey

jacqueline

I am new to VW and have VW2008. I am trying to create a site model from a survey done in AutoCAD (dwg). Every way I insert it into VW I am unable to create any sort of site model. How do I accomplish this. Am I unable to import a dwg as a survey under AEC-survey input? Even when I bring the contours in as polylines (or polygons) converting them to 3d polygons fails.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Jacqueline

The site model can only work from specific types of data - 3D loci or 3D polys (there is a full list in the Help). When you import your file, do you have height points with a Z height (just select them and tell me a) what type of object they are and b) do can you see a Z value in the Object Info Palette)?

Your level data could also come from a csv file from your surveyor - containing data in X Y and Z format.

If you have contour lines, you should be able to convert them to 3D polys - unless they are broken. You can connect them using the Connect/Combine tool. Often the contour lines will be broken because the height label will be sitting within the line.

When I imported the survey as a dwg all of the polylines (contour lines) turned into polygons. I converted them one by one to 3d polygons and gave them elevations and was able to create a site model from there. I thought you could import drawings and the site model could be generated from given information.

When I create hardscapes how do I get them to generate at a certain elevation and get the site model to respond to that elevation? I set it at a certain elevation and the site model did not respond.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Jacqueline

Yes - you can indeed use information on the drawing (such as contours) and convert them. It depends on how your surveyor set up the file in the first place as to how VW will cope with it. I ask my surveyor for a separate data file as it's quick and easy and the data needs no further work from me to generate the model.

Re Hardscape, when setting up your Hardscape preferences, tick the draw 3d box and choose pad or texture bed as the option. Having created your hardscape, you can then use the Send to Surface command to move the Z height to the level of the model. You can then adjust this Z value to the height you want. Select the site model and click on Update in the OIP. To show changes you must have Proposed model selected in either the 2D or 3D view.

Good luck!