VW 12.5 losing preferences for managed users

Hi there

We have a managed environment, with users running off the server from network user accounts. The server was updated to Mac OS X 10.4.11 over the weekend and this problem has manifested itself since then. On opening VW, users are prompted for a valid serial number. We enter the serial number and it is recognised as valid and that it is for Fundamentals Architect. When we click "Done", the message "No valid serial numbers have been found, please enter one now" appears. We have USB dongles, which have been working fine up until the server update.

I am able to log in to the machine as a local user and can set the serial number. I have tried copying the preferences file to the network user's Library/Preferences folder, but it looks as though it is deleted as soon as VW is opened and we are prompted for the serial number.

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the dongle driver, I have updated to version 12.5.3 - all with no luck. I have checked the permissions on the VW folder in "Applications" and the user group has read/write access.

I don't know what else to try. I hope someone can shed some light - this is causing major problems.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I am having this problem as well. I have one user that it works for and she has a mobile home directory set up and was upgraded to leopard on her computer. All other users have serial number accepted then when they click done they get the "No valid serial numbers have been found please enter one now" message. But they are all on clean install and running off network home directories. This worked fine pre Leopard. I followed the instructions here http://www.unlimited.com/3ddesign/faqbody.htm to allow read/write access to everyone on the /Applications directory. I did the same for the /Library/Preferences directory and /Library/Application Support. Makes no difference. Also it is strictly against Apples developer advice for an application to be writing to the /Applications folder after its been installed this is very bad practice from netmetschek if this is really required. All users have full access to their ~/Library/Preferences folder.

There are no problems with any other applications

Edited by Will

I'm having the same symptoms with a dongle version under Leopard. It works fine on my Macbook Pro, but fails on Mac Pro using Leopard or Leopard Server. It always claims the serial number is not valid, just as in the first post above.

Once in a while I can get it to launch once, under Leopard on the Mac Pro, after a complete fresh install, but the second launch always fails with the serial number problem. Sometimes VW 12.5.3 has crashed, too, with a bus error at a low address.

I ran a find query to see what files a working install of Vectorworks accesses on an account whose home folder is stored on a local volume:

Gnu:VectorWorks 12.5.0 localadmin$ find -f ~/Library /Library /Applications -newerct "20 seconds ago" -print

/Users/localadmin/Library/Preferences/com.apple.recentitems.plist

/Users/localadmin/Library/Preferences/net.nemetschek.VectorWorks.plist

The only relevant files that appear to be accessed when VW opens are the 2 Vectorworks pref files in ~/Library/Preferences.

The users with the problem have full access to these files in their network home accounts i.e. its possible to create, move, edit and delete a file in the ~/Library/Preferences folder.

Is it possible that there is a bug in Vectorworks that prevents it from accessing or editing the ~/Library/Preferences/Vectorworks Prefs files when they are stored on an AFP volume when rather than a local one? The users who aren't experiencing problems have portable home directories where this folder is synced to the local disk on login i.e. before it can be accessed by VW. Is this an issue with AFP?

Edited by Will