SP2 deleted all VW files

I just downloaded SP2 and it deleted all my VectorWorks design files that were on my hard disk. I kept all my design files in a separate folder outside of the VW2008 file. When I click on "open recent files" the list is blank. Needless to say the boss is mighty upset.

I just downloaded SP2 and it deleted all my VectorWorks design files that were on my hard disk. I kept all my design files in a separate folder outside of the VW2008 file. When I click on "open recent files" the list is blank. Needless to say the boss is mighty upset.

Uhhh, Have you looked in the source folder?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The recent files list is a list stored by VectorWorks, not something linked to the actual files. Use the File Open dialog to look for your files and they should be there.

All my VW design files were kept in a folder called "DESIGN" which was located on my hard drive and had an alias on my desktop. The design Folder Icon was/is gone from my hard drive. The icon was still on the desktop, when I open up the folder there is 1 folder(out of 15) and 0 files(out of 100+) inside it. Everything is gone. If I click on the Apple icon on the menu bar a go to "recent items" there are 5 different client files in there. If I click on those nothing happens. I did a search for a file I that was in my Design folder and the search has come up with nothing.

Lesson learned - Make sure you back up to an external drive, and disconnect it , before you download SP2.

If it happens to be that your folder appears to be missing but the alias pointing to it still yields a location with a folder in it, I'd be more concerned about a problem with your filesystem than VW doing anything. If an alias is pointing to another folder, and that folder doesn't exist, you wouldn't be seeing anything.

I'd make a backup of your whole system in case something unfortunate is going on with your filesystem or drive.

Well, even then it wouldn't delete it, but I'm more curious if it was network mounted or anything, some way to explain how the finder would be willing to display something that doesn't exist.

I am Kgood's employer. He and I have run all the Apple supplied diagnostics and TechTool type stuff I have as well. No explanations. I advised Kgood to take this problem to the Apple Store Guru desk. So he will set up an appointment there.

The volume was not network mounted.

I know where the destroyed folder was located on his computer. It was not in the VW folder, nor in the VW folder in Library>Application Support>etc., but in a "normal" documents place. I suspect a corrupted disk directory, but the recovery program did not find any deleted file entities to restore/recover.

Computers are the weirdest things. They "save time" only to wipe everything out by things which can only be explained by the operation of the 2nd Law OF Thermodynamics. (Order decays to disorder - via changes in energy - no reverse mechanism is known to exist.)

Computers are the weirdest things. They "save time" only to wipe everything out by things which can only be explained by the operation of the 2nd Law OF Thermodynamics. (Order decays to disorder - via changes in energy - no reverse mechanism is known to exist.)

I was discussing this the other day with someone. Computers make us more productive, but how much time do we spend trying to domesticate these machines. I'd say in the end it's still a net gain, but wow, what a hassle they are. :)