Indirect Light Level Calculations

Greg_at_ils

Question

I would very much like to see the ability to accurately measure both direct and indirect lighting illuminance levels. The math is already being done in Renderworks. We just need a way to access it. Being able to create photometric grids or individual points facing any direction would be very useful to Lighting Designers, MEPs and Architects. It would help us eliminate other software packages and reduce redundant modeling.

Thanks,

Greg

10 answers to this question

I'm going to make another push for this as I just last night attended my local VW user group meeting and when this came up it sparked a great deal of interest. With the push toward green building via LEED, local and state ordinances, etc. there is a necessity to produce documentation that shows both interior and exterior light levels. This on top of it being a part of the normal lighting design process, general code compliance documentation, daylight studies and many other reasons makes this type of data a required element in one format or another for every project. I'm really tired of having to redraw my 3D geometry in a different software package. Not to mention that there are none for the Mac. I have to load windows every time.

Thanks,

I contacted Lightworks to find out what the story was with their rendering engine and to see what it would take to access the illumination data. Apparently the info is provided by the render engine and is accessible to VW. NNA just has not taken advantage of that. Here are some excerpts from their emails in the exchange I had with Lightworks.

From looking at your website we see that you use VectorWorks software.

Is that correct and are you wanting to access this data through

VectorWorks?

VectorWorks doesn't provide this ability to see LightWorks calculation

data at the moment, but it is possible for you to do this if you become

a LightWorks customer.

Each developer has the ability to access the specific functionality of LightWorks that they wish to use for their application across the length and breadth of the LightWorks product suite.

If there is functionality which LightWorks has that your individual developer is not utilising, then you can only request that this functionality be added by the software developer, in your case Nemetschek. We will happily forward your details on to Nemetschek with a suggestion as to how they can provide this solution, but this is dependant upon their development plans and schedule.

Greg

Nice work. I second (or third) this motion. You can already create a fixture and render it using the IES data from the fixture's manufacturer, and the results are beautiful.

I would like to add another light level calculation request: The ability to calculate daylight levels in interior spaces.

You can already use VW to render daylight penetration into a building. It would be nice to be able to take the next step...

Michael

I would suggest that Vectorworks should in time abandon the Lightworks engine for another one. It is just so much inferior than many of the competitors. An obvious choice would be the Cinema 4D render enginge (since it is owned by Nemetschek ). That makes much more sense to me instead of licensing a sub-standard rendering engine from another company (lightworks.)

Just my 2 cents on Renderworks.