DTM Site Model Smoothing

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I have a large site, with survey data of some 4000 points (3D polys)covering 16 acres. The site does model, but is very chunky looking. On a smaller model, I can use smoothing to great effect. However, on this model, when employing smoothing and choosing the relevant 3D display i.e. 3D Triangulated Contours, my machine goes very quiet and VW appears to hang.

I have tried leaving it for a while - a few cups of tea etc. I even washed the kitchen floor but when I came back, no joy! Is this simply a case that I am asking too much of my little laptop and VW? Or should I leave it longer and perhaps clean the windows as well?!

I realise this could be a "how long is a piece of string?" type question, but I would be grateful for any comments from experienced modellers...

(It IS great to have a clean kitchen floor though...)

VW 2008 SP2 on XP 2GB RAM

Tasmin, have you tried the "filter 3d polygons" command? I have found that this sometimes helps a lot to speed up the site model regen, etc. You will need to run this on your original polys, then re-create the site model.

Also, you could try a different 3d setting on the site model. Perhaps that will get you closer to the look you want...