Pads not rendering on DTM

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I'm creating pads using either hardscape tool or site modifier tool (choosing pad from config field).

I have a class set up with texture selected. Class is set to Use at Creation. I place the pad in the class. The 2D attributes are set to Solid Fill.

My pads DO update the site model, but they don't render. The site model has a render applied and renders beautifully, but the pad is sitting above the surface showing its red outline, but no render.

The pad and fence are both on the same layer as the site model.

I have the same problem using the Massing Model tool. I can see the object in wireframe, but no render although the rest of the site model renders.

What am I doing wrong?

Hi Tamsin

What renderer are you using? It may be worth trying another renderer. I will have a try later. However, i'm not entirely sure that pads are meant to be visible. I have always thought of them as an invisible 'hand' that squashes the terrain flat.

A massed model should render though. I just did a quick test and it rendered in OpenGL and renderworks plus others.

Hi Ian

Thanks for your response. I have tried a couple of textures various stone and brick ones)and tried all rendering modes. I see what you are saying about the pad. However, what I am seeing is a slope up to the pad, and then the area that should be rendered is hollow - down to the bottom of the model! So it's not even showing a flat surface in the same texture as the model (Nature Turf).

By the way - didn't we speak last year? Did you get your lecturer to accept the watermark in the end? I am on a mission about this so please feel free to email me your experiences...

Tasmin, hmmm... If your pad is "hollow" double check that the class is set to be visible. And check all of your elevation settings. In other words, could it be that your pad is set much lower than it ought to be, therefore creating a hole?

Also, I usually use pads to shape the terrain and other objects (like floors, roof faces, extrudes, texture beds, etc.) as surfaces that sit on the terrain. All of those objects can have textures applied to them...

Hi Peter

Thanks for that - yes the class is set to be visible. The pad is definitely at the correct Z value. So, although the hardscape tool is a hybrid that can have both 2D and 3D attributes you are suggesting that I create a pad and then sit a separate object on top of that?

Thanks

By the way - didn't we speak last year? Did you get your lecturer to accept the watermark in the end? I am on a mission about this so please feel free to email me your experiences...

Yes. It was me. In the end, due to a moment of madness when I bought a Vista PC (actually its not bad at all) that forced my hand to upgrade, I went for the full license as I will cease to be a student hopefully in the summer.